During the 1970s, Burkan created a firewalking class and began teaching firewalking to the general public. In the 1980s, he started working with large corporations and began training instructors.
He has written eight books that have been translated into 15 languages, including Extreme Spirituality, Let It Be Easy, and Dying to Live: From Despair and Death to Freedom and Joy.
Burkan's disappearance from Asbury Park, New Jersey and his subsequent reappearance two months later, after a memorial service, was the subject of national news in 1967. Although he would explain in his book Dying to Live and in news stories years later  that he had run away from home for two months, the incident would continue to be cited in pseudoscience books as "still unexplained" and evidence of alien abduction  or teleportation 
- Vilenskaya, Steffy, Larissa, Joan (December 1991). Firewalking: A New Look at an Old Enigma (First ed.). Bramble Co. p. 253. ISBN 0962618438.
- HEALING STATES by Alberto Villoldo, Ph.D. and Stanley Krippner, Ph.D. Simon & Schuster 1987
- "ANCIENT ART IS A HOT EXPERIENCE - WALKING ON FIRE", Miami Herald, February 14, 1997.
- "Missing 2 Months, 'Dead' Jersey Boy Returns to Family", New York Times, October 25, 1967
- "19-Year-Old Bruce Burkan 'Returns From The Dead'", AP report in Jackson (TN) Sun, October 26, 1967, p2
- "From Misery To Near-Death To A Glimpse of Happiness", by Joan Barbato, Morristown (NJ) Daily Record, March 13, 1975, p17
- Our Haunted Planet, by John A. Keel (Galde Press, 1999) p181
- "Teleportation... The Ultimate Trip", by George Cunningham-Tee, in Pittsburgh Press Sunday Magazine, November 20, 1983
- Carey, Art (1 May 2002). "A guru's guide to fire walking and forgiving". The Philadelphia Inquirer. p. D01.
- Beth Ann Drier, "The Curious Hot Foot It to a New Fad," Los Angeles Times, 11 April 1984, pt. 1, 1.
- Chipello, Christopher (18 April 1989). "If Past-Life Trauma Has Got You Down, Firewalk May Help". Wall Street Journal. pp. A1–A2.
- USA Today 4-2-90 Page 1, Section D
- Official website
- National Geographic
- Loring M. Danforth, Firewalking and Religious Healing: The Anastenaria of Greece and the American Firewalking Movement, Princeton University Press
- ABC Science article
- Discovery Channel[dead link]
- Edwards, Emily D. “Firewalking: A Contemporary Ritual and Transformation.” TDR 42 (1998): 98-114.—analysis of Burkan's seminars
- Mythbusters - Firewalking 101[dead link]
- "The Encyclopedia of Religious Phenomena"