||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
|Occupation||Professor of Strategic Development, University of Liverpool Management School|
Tom Cannon is Professor of Strategic Development at the University of Liverpool Management School. He is considered to be an expert on Sports finance, economics and business notably professional sports like soccer, F1, cricket, rugby (both codes), tennis, horse-racing, American football and is often featured on Sky Sports, BBC and Bloomberg giving his insight on sports events. Tom is a member of the University of Liverpool's Football Industry Group and he teaches on their Football Industries MBA (FIMBA) programme. He is also Chief Executive of Idepolis International, a Liverpool-based company. He has written over 20 books and 100 academic papers.
He is a supporter of Everton. In 1994, he was part of a consortium dubbed The Manchester Consortium by the Liverpool Echo and rival consortium bidder Peter Johnson. The consortium included several Liverpool-born Manchester-based Evertonians and was headed by Bill Kenwright with help from builder Arthur Abercromby.
The consortium missed out on purchasing the club due to Kenwright's reluctance to force the issue during a board room meeting. Peter Johnson later stated he was ready to outbid Cannon's consortium by a further £10 million.
Cannon was elected a special advisor to the board at the club's AGM in 2007 whilst Kenwright was Chairman.
Despite this, Cannon was quoted outside his home stating: "I actually support the Albion."
List of works
- Advertising Research, ISBN 0-7002-0220-X
- Basic Marketing: A Workbook of Notes and Assignments, ISBN 0-03-910311-0
- Basic Marketing: Principles and Practice, ISBN 0-03-910276-9
- Corporate Responsibility, ISBN 0-273-03727-7
- Corporate Responsibility: Issues in Business Ethics, Governance and Responsibilities, ISBN 0-273-60270-5
- Enterprise: Creation Development and Growth, ISBN 0-434-90238-1
- The Entrepreneur's Strategy Guide : Ten Keys for Achieving Marketplace Leadership and Operational Excellence, ISBN 0-275-98904-6
- The Guinness Book of Business Records, ISBN 0-85112-794-0
- How to Buy and Sell Overseas, ISBN 0-09-160771-X
- How to Get Ahead in Business, ISBN 0-86369-887-5
- How to Win Profitable Business, ISBN 0-09-151840-7
- Leadership, Management and Enterprise in a Changing World, ISBN 0-273-67611-3
- Marketing : Principles and Practice, ISBN 1-84480-115-2
- The Ultimate Book of Business Breakthroughs : Lessons from the 20 Greatest Business Decisions Ever Made, ISBN 1-84112-028-6
- Welcome to the Revolution : Management, Knowledge and Organisations in the Third Industrial Revolution, ISBN 0-273-64167-0
- Welcome to the Revolution: Managing Paradox in the Information Age, ISBN 0-273-62049-5
- When God Speaks, ISBN 0-87714-755-8
- Women As Entrepreneurs: A Study of Female Business Owners, Their Motivations, Experiences and Strategies for Success, ISBN 0-12-161755-6
- The World of Business, ISBN 0-582-06128-8