Tom Marshall (poet)
Thomas Archibald Marshall (April 9, 1938 – 1993) was a Canadian poet and novelist.
Born and raised in Niagara Falls, Ontario, he was educated at Queen's University in Kingston. He received his MA in 1965, writing his thesis on poet A. M. Klein, and taught at the institution from 1964 until his death.
At the time of his death in 1993, Marshall had completed a final novel, The Adventures of John Montgomery. The novel was posthumously published in 1995, and was reissued in 2014 as part of a series of historical novels set in Kingston. The Essential Tom Marshall, an anthology of his poetry compiled by David Helwig and Michael Ondaatje, was published in 2012.
- The Beast With Three Backs, (with Tom Eadie and Colin Norman.) Quarry Press, Kingston, n.d.. (1965)
- The Silences of Fire. Macmillan, Toronto, 1969.
- Magic Water. Quarry Press, Kingston, 1971.
- The Earth Book. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1974.
- The White City. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1976.
- The Elements. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1980.
- Playing with Fire. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1984.
- Dance of the Particles. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1984.
- Ghost Safari. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1991.
- Some Impossible Heaven of the Senses. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1994.
- The Essential Tom Marshall, 2012
- The Psychic Mariner: A Reading of the Poems of D.H. Lawrence. London and New York: Heineman and Viking Press, 1970.
- A. M. Klein. Edited and with an introduction by Tom Marshall. Toronto, Ryerson Press, 1970.
- Harsh and Lovely Land:The Major Canadian Poets and the Making of a Canadian Tradition. Vancouver, University of British Columbia Press, 1979.
- Multiple Exposures, Promised Lands:Essays on Canadian Poetry and Fiction. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1992.
- Rosemary Goal. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1978. (Harper Collins, paper.)
- Glass Houses. Ottawa, Oberon Press, 1985.
- Adele at the End of the Day. Toronto, Macmillan, 1987. (Vintage Books, 1990.)
- Voices on the Brink. Toronto, Macmillan, 1988. (Faber and Faber,paper.)
- Changelings. Toronto, Macmillan, 1991. (McClelland and Stewart, paper.)
- Goddess Disclosing. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1992
- The Adventures of John Montgomery. Kingston, Quarry Press, 1995.