||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Tom Palin is a British painter.
Palin grew up in Birkenhead, Merseyside, England. He graduated from Liverpool John Moores University with a BA (Hons) in Fine Art in 1996, and from the University of Manchester with an MA in Art History in 2006. He is currently working towards a PhD in Painting at the Royal College of Art.
Tom Palin's work consists almost entirely of small scale oil paintings. These explore the boundaries between abstraction and figuration and combine an interest in the iconography of the everyday and of the romantic with a concern for the material surface of paint and the passing of time. His work appears as muted, painterly and, in narrative terms, ambiguous. He cites Maurice Utrillo as a major influence. His work can be found in The University of Liverpool's Art Collection. Tom Palin is included in The Dictionary of Artists in Britain since 1945 (David Buckman, 2006).
He has exhibited his work in a number of solo and collaborative exhibitions, including solo shows at: The Central Gallery (Ashton-under-Lyne, 2010), View 2 Gallery (Liverpool, 2008), Dean Clough (Halifax, 2005) and at The Atkinson Art Gallery, (Southport, 2004).
Tom Palin has been the recipient of the following awards:
- British Institution Award. Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, Burlington House, London, 2015.
- Second Prize. Motorcade/FlashParade Open (Bristol, 2011).
- Major Award. The Wirral Open (Williamson Art Gallery and Museum, 2011).
- The Alumni Award (Liverpool JMU and The University of Liverpool, 2005).
- Gilchrist-Fisher Memorial Award for Landscape Painters (Rebecca Hossack Gallery, 2004).
- Emerson Group Award (Manchester Academy of Fine Arts, 2002).
- Hunting Arts Prizes Young Artist of the Year Award (Royal College of Art, 2000).
- Student Award (St Helens Open, 1997).
He held The Feiweles Trust Bursary Award in 2002 which saw the completion of 100 art workshops in the West Yorkshire region and culminated in the exhibition Pride of Place: A Painter's Perspective, at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
- Hutchinson, Charles (14 September 2012). "Tom Palin: Against the Grain, A New Visuality Project". The Press (York). Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- 2 Painting(s) by or after Tom Palin, Art UK
- Key, Philip (17 January 2008). "Exhibition: Tom Palin, View Two Gallery, Mathew Street". Liverpool Daily Post. Retrieved 27 February 2013.