Tom Standage (born 1969) is a British journalist, author, and editorial executive currently serving as the Deputy Editor of The Economist newspaper under editor-in-chief, Zanny Minton Beddoes. As head of the newspaper's digital strategy, Standage is the editor-in-chief of The Economist's website, applications, and digital platform. He first joined the paper in 1998 as a science correspondent from where he was successively appointed technology editor, business editor, and finally, digital editor.
Born and raised in England, Standage graduated from Oxford University with a degree in engineering and computing. He began his career in journalism as a science and technology writer for The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph where he was deputy editor of the technology supplement, Connected. Standage is the author of six books including but not limited to The Victorian Internet (1998), A History of the World in 6 Glasses (2005), and Writing on the Wall (2013).
Early life and career
Standage was born in the Greenwich quarter of South East London, the elder of his parents' two sons. He attended Oxford University where he studied engineering and computing. He then went on to work as a science and technology writer for The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph.
Standage often bases his writing in the areas of science, technology and business on historical analogies. He has published a collection of articles and surveys from The Economist and six books, including The Victorian Internet, a history of the development of the telegraph and the social ramifications associated with it. Standage argues that the development of the internet mirrors that of the telegraph in that both represented dramatic increases in the speed and transmission of information, and because both were controversial in their time for perceived and actual negative consequences.
- The Turk: The Life and Times of the Eighteenth Century Chess Player
- The Victorian Internet
- The Neptune File
- A History of the World in 6 Glasses
- The Future of Technology
- An Edible History of Humanity
- Writing on the Wall: Social Media—The First 2,000 Years
- A Brief History of Motion: From the Wheel, to the Car, to What Comes Next
- STANDAGE, Thomas William, Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, 2015; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 24 November 2020.
- Tom Standage (1 April 2006). "The Culture War". Wired.
- John R. Alden (30 January 1999). "Book Review: 'Review of 'The Victorian Internet,' by Tom Standage". Smithsonian Magazine.
- Frank Rose (1 November 2013). "Word Travels Fast (on 'Writing on the Wall,' by Tom Standage)". New York Times.
- Scott Berkun (23 January 2014). "Book Review: 'Writing On the Wall,' by Tom Standage". Scott Berkun's blog.