Tom Watson (journalist)
Watson is the author of CauseWired: Plugging In, Getting Involved, Changing the World (Wiley, 2008), president of CauseWired, a consulting company he founded, and a columnist for Forbes. Previously, he co-founded national philanthropic services company Changing Our World, Inc. At Changing Our World, Watson created onPhilanthropy, an online resource for philanthropy professionals; he often comments on and writes frequently about the intersection of media and philanthropy. In recent years he has served as a board member of BronxWorks, the Drum Major Institute for Public Policy, where he helped to create the popular DMIblog, and the New York Software Industry Association.
Watson was the founder and editor of newcritics.com, an online journal of media and arts criticism launched in January, 2007 and shuttered in June, 2009.
Watson was co-founder and co-editor with Jason Chervokas of @NY, the pioneering Internet news and information service that chronicled the rise of New York City’s technology sector - Silicon Alley - beginning in 1995. The company was acquired by Internet.com in April 1999.
Watson began his career as a reporter and later executive editor of The Riverdale Press, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper in the Bronx, where he covered politics, and won more than a dozen state and national awards for excellence in journalism. The paper won national acclaim during his tenure for not missing an issue after terrorists linked to Iran destroyed the newspaper's offices with firebombs. Watson received a BA in English Literature from Columbia University. He teaches in the masters program at Columbia University.
- "Time Marches On..." Tom Watson - My Dirty Life & Times. 31 December 2004. Retrieved 2006-06-20.
- "Social Ventures".
- "Rich to the rescue". Christian Science Monitor. 20 November 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-08.
- "Board of Directors". Drum Major Institute. 2012. Archived from the original on June 5, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "For Your Cultural Dining Pleasure". VanityFair.com. 18 January 2007. Archived from the original on 2013-01-15. Retrieved 2007-02-06.
- "internet.com acquires @NY and SiliconAlleyJobs.com websites". Write News. 14 April 1999. Archived from the original on 9 February 2013. Retrieved 2006-06-20.
- "The New York Times". 4 Newspapers Offer Reward in Bombing. 3 March 1989. Retrieved 2006-06-20.
- "A Letter to Readers: The Truth About @NY". @NY, January 1998.
- "Silicon Survivors". New York Magazine, April 1998.
- "Silicon Alley Struts Its Stuff". Wired, June 1998.
- "Silicon Alley's Political Shadow". Wired, September 2000.
- "Philanthropy, the eBay Way". MissionFish, November 2003.
- "For-profits finding nonprofit irresistible". The NonProfit Times, May 2004.
- "Why fashion has turned to cause marketing". Women's Wear Daily, October 2006.
- "Consumers Rally to Cause Marketing". CNN, November 2006.
- "Tom Watson". GiftHub, October 2006.
- "Rich to the Rescue". Christian Science Monitor, December 2006.