Tooting by-election, 2016
The Tooting by-election was a by-election in the constituency of Tooting on 16 June 2016, triggered by the resignation of Sadiq Khan from Parliament following his election as Mayor of London.
Dan Watkins was the Conservative Party's candidate. He was the 2015 candidate and is currently the party's spokesman for Tooting and a local campaigner for issues including for a local station on the planned Crossrail 2 railway.
There were three independent candidates: Zirwa Javaid, Zia Samadani and Smiley Smillie. Ankit Love, who was a candidate in the London mayoral election, stood for One Love Party. Akbar Ali Malik stood under the banner of the Immigrants Political Party. Graham Moore stood for the English Democrats. Bobby Smith, leader of Give Me Back Elmo and perennial election candidate, stood for his party.
Former MP George Galloway had floated the idea of standing after his candidacy in the London mayoral election, but withdrew, citing fears of splitting the Labour vote and thus allowing the Conservatives to win.
|Liberal Democrat||Alex Glassbrook||820||2.6||-1.4|
|Christian Peoples||Des Coke||164||0.5||N/A|
|Monster Raving Loony||Alan "Howling Laud" Hope||54||0.2||N/A|
|English Democrat||Graham Moore||50||0.2||N/A|
|Immigrants Political Party||Akbar Ali Malik||44||0.1||N/A|
|One Love||Ankit Love||32||0.1||N/A|
|Give Me Back Elmo||Bobby Smith||9||0.0||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Philip Ling||2,107||3.9||−10.9|
- "When Sadiq Khan becomes London's new mayor, what will happen in the Tooting by-election?". New Statesman. 6 May 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Khan stands down as Tooting MP". BBC News. 7 May 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Khan resigns as MP for Tooting". UK Parliament. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- A&E doctor to fight Sadiq Khan's Tooting seat
- "Conservatives set to appoint Dan Watkins as their candidate for Tooting by-election". Wandsworth Guardian. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Crossrail 2: Tooting Broadway beats Balham as 2,000 have their say in survey". Wandsworth Guardian. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Wandsworth Green Party | Esther Obiri-Darko For Tooting By Election". wandsworth.greenparty.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Liberal Democrats announce candidate for Tooting by-election". Wandsworth Guardian. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Labour 'odds on to hold Tooting'", by Joe Murphy, Evening Standard, 19 May 2016, p. 6
- "Junior doctor Rosena Allin-Khan selected as Labour's candidate for Tooting by-election". Your Local Guardian. 14 May 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "English Democrats announce candidate in Tooting by-election". Wandsworth Guardian. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Proto, Laura (2016-05-16). "George Galloway backs out of standing in Tooting by-election". Evening Standard. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Murphy, Joe (2016-05-10). "Tooting by-election: George Galloway 'almost certain' to stand". Evening Standard. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Tooting by-election count holds two-minute silence for MP Jo Cox". BBC News. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- Council, Wandsworth. "Tooting by-election candidate list published - News - Wandsworth Council". www.Wandsworth.gov.uk. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- Council, Wandsworth. "Tooting Constituency by-election result June 2016 - Tooting Constituency by-election result June 2016 - Wandsworth Council". www.Wandsworth.gov.uk. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Council, Wandsworth. "Tooting Constituency - Parliamentary election results May 2015 - Wandsworth Council". www.wandsworth.gov.uk.
- "Tooting parliamentary constituency - Election 2015 - BBC News". Retrieved 8 May 2017 – via www.BBC.co.uk.