Translation Memory eXchange
Translation Memory eXchange (TMX) is an XML specification for the exchange of translation memory data between computer-aided translation and localization tools with little or no loss of critical data.
TMX was originally developed and maintained by OSCAR (Open Standards for Container/Content Allowing Re-use), a special interest group of LISA (Localization Industry Standards Association), and first released in 1997. The current version of the specification is 1.4b and allows for the recreation of the original source and target documents from the TMX data. A working draft of TMX 2.0 was released for public comment in March 2007 but no work on the new version has been done since. In March 2011 LISA was declared insolvent and as a result its standards were moved under a Creative Commons license and the standards specification relocated.
An example of a TMX document with one entry:
<tmx version="1.4"> <header creationtool="XYZTool" creationtoolversion="1.01-023" datatype="PlainText" segtype="sentence" adminlang="en-us" srclang="en" o-tmf="ABCTransMem"/> <body> <tu> <tuv xml:lang="en"> <seg>Hello world!</seg> </tuv> <tuv xml:lang="fr"> <seg>Bonjour tout le monde!</seg> </tuv> </tu> </body> </tmx>
- "TMX Format Specifications Version 1.0". Open Standards for Container/Content Allowing Re-use (OSCAR). 25 November 1997. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Savourel, Yves; Lommel, Arle (26 April 2005). "TMX 1.4b Specification". The Localisation Industry Standards Association (LISA). Archived from the original on 12 January 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "LISA OSCAR Standards". Globalization and Localization Association (GALA). Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- TMX 1.4b Specification. The current version of the specification.
- TMXValidator. A free tool for validating TMX files.
- Reduce translation time and effort with the aid of XML standards by Rodolfo M. Raya. Summary of the use of TMX in localisation.
- BitBucket. Current home of Okapi, including the Olifant free TMX editor
- OpenTag. Wiki guide to Okapi/Olifant
- BinTray Okapi/Olifant distribution site
- SourceForge Older .NET version of Olifant, with some features not yet implemented in newer Java version
- GitHub. Heartsome TMX Editor 8 is now open source and on GitHub