Translation Memory eXchange
Translation Memory eXchange (TMX) is an XML specification for the exchange of translation memory (TM) data between computer-aided translation and localization tools with little or no loss of critical data.
TMX was originally developed and maintained by OSCAR (Open Standards for Container/Content Allowing Re-use), a special interest group of LISA (Localization Industry Standards Association), and first released in 1997. Specification 1.4b of 2005 remained current as of 2020[update]. It allows the original source and target documents to be recreated from the TMX data. A working draft of TMX 2.0 was released for public comment in March 2007 but no work was done on the new version; in March 2011 LISA was declared insolvent and as a result its standards were moved under a Creative Commons license and the standards specification relocated.
TMX forms part of the Open Architecture for XML Authoring and Localization (OAXAL) reference architecture.
An example of a TMX document with one entry:
<tmx version="1.4"> <header creationtool="XYZTool" creationtoolversion="1.01-023" datatype="PlainText" segtype="sentence" adminlang="en-us" srclang="en" o-tmf="ABCTransMem"/> <body> <tu> <tuv xml:lang="en"> <seg>Hello world!</seg> </tuv> <tuv xml:lang="fr"> <seg>Bonjour tout le monde!</seg> </tuv> </tu> </body> </tmx>
- ^ "TMX Format Specifications Version 1.0". Open Standards for Container/Content Allowing Re-use (OSCAR). 25 November 1997. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- ^ a b Savourel, Yves; Lommel, Arle (26 April 2005). "TMX 1.4b Specification". The Localisation Industry Standards Association (LISA). Archived from the original on 12 January 2013.
- ^ a b "LISA OSCAR Standards". Globalization and Localization Association (GALA). Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- ^ "TMX: Translation Memory eXchange -TMX 2.0 released for public comment". LISA Standards Association. 28 March 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-10-26.
- ^ "TMX 2.0 Specification - OSCAR Working Draft". LISA Standards Association. 28 March 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-10-11.