Treasure Quest (TV series)
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Running time||44 minutes (per episode)|
|Original network||Discovery Channel|
|Original release||January 15, 2009 – Present|
Treasure Quest is a one-hour weekly American reality television series that premiered on January 15, 2009 on the Discovery Channel. The program follows the employees of Odyssey Marine Exploration as they search the English Channel for various lost ships. The team is led by company CEO Gregory Stemm and Tom Dettweiler (operations director of Robert Ballard's team that discovered the RMS Titanic).
Notable shipwrecks discovered
- Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes (Our Lady of Mercy in English) - Spanish frigate which was sunk by the British off the south coast of Portugal on 5 October 1804 during the Battle of Cape Santa Maria. The TV episode was produced believing the wreck to be the Merchant Royal, but later investigation now points to it being the Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes (though this is still uncertain). The recovered treasure had to be returned to Spain after a Supreme Court ruling.
- Marqise de Tornay - A French privateer.
- HMS Victory - A first-rate ship of the line of the British Royal Navy.
- RMS Laconia - An ocean liner transformed into an armed merchant cruiser during World War I, sunk by a German U-boat. Also known as the Silver Queen due to the precious metals on board when sunk.
- Meet Tom Dettweiler. The show also included a failed search for the Merchant Royal, a 17th-century shipwreck that went down with an estimated $1 billion worth of cargo, and HMS Victory, a British warship codenamed "Legend" on the show. Treasure Quest was produced by JWM Productions, LLC.
- Richey, Warren (May 14, 2012). "Who gets to keep shipwreck treasure? Supreme Court declines Spain case". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved May 15, 2012.