|Born||1951 (age 69–70)|
|Other names||Patricia Torrey|
Elmira College (in Education)
Torrey became an activist after she was misdiagnosed with a rare form of cancer. While scrutinizing her own medical records, she found an error and avoided unnecessary and potentially damaging and dangerous chemotherapy. She founded the Alliance of Professional Health Advocates in 2009. In 2009 she wrote the book You Bet Your Life which detailed strategies for patients in avoiding mistakes. She advocates that patients empower themselves to get the healthcare they deserve, take steps to stay safe when they access care, especially in hospitals, and that they get a "full picture of a doctor's background", including where they went to medical school and their certifications and length of practice.
- Choosing a Career in Health or Patient Advocacy. DiagKNOWsis Media. 2015. ISBN 9780982801451.
- You Bet Your Life!: The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes. DiagKNOWsis Media. 2013. ISBN 978-0982801420.
- The Start and Grow Your Own Practice Handbook DiagKNOWsis Media 2017. ISBN 978-0982801499
- The Health Advocate's Basic Marketing Handbook DiagKNOWsis Media 2014. ISBN 978-0982801437
- The Health Advocate's Advanced Marketing Handbook DiagKNOWsis Media 2014.ISBN 978-0982801444
- You Bet Your Life! The Top 10 Reasons You Need a Professional Patient Advocate by Your Side DiagKNOWsis Media 2015 ASIN: B010YDQHOU
- Elizabeth Cohen, CNN, Has your illness been misdiagnosed?, Retrieved February 23, 2016, ... math: 2004-52 => 1952 birth year approx ...In June 2004, Trisha Torrey found a golf ball-size lump in her torso. A surgeon removed it and gave her the grim news: cancer....
- Painter, Kim (February 1, 2012). "Hospital patients should be prepared". USA Today. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
...Trisha Torrey, a patient advocate from Baldwinsville, N.Y., ... more patients are realizing they must take more active roles....
- "Resumé: Trisha Torrey".
- Note: 2004 misdiagnosis, current year 2016, math => 12+
- Sadick, Barbara (February 15, 2016). "Patients hiring advocates for expert help". Chicago Tribune via Washington Post. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
...Patient advocates for hire number perhaps 250 to 300 in the United States, according to Trisha Torrey, founder of the Alliance of Professional Health Advocates. ...
- Thayer, K (April 23, 2015). "Private patient advocates a growing, yet costly, trend in health care". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
...private patient advocacy remains relatively uncommon ... Torrey founded the Alliance of Professional Health Advocates after her own brush with medical dissatisfaction...
- Aschwanden, Christie (June 22, 2015). "Check your health records: You may be able to avoid trouble". Washington Post. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
... Trisha Torrey... she discovered an error that had led her to become wrongly diagnosed with cancer ... she would have undergone chemotherapy and other cancer treatments that she never needed....
- Painter, Kim (June 29, 2010). "Your Health: Is a hospital visit in July bad for your well-being?". USA Today. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
...patient advocates. ... Trisha Torrey, a Syracuse, N.Y., cancer survivor and author of a 2009 book, You Bet Your Life: The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes....
- KENNEDY, DEIRDRE (January 24, 2008). "Choosing a Doctor in the Digital Age". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
... patient advocate Trisha Torrey. ... A full picture of a doctor's background ... when they graduated from medical school, whether they're board-certified in their specialty area, and how long they've been in practice....