Tropical Hot Dog Night
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Written by||Thomas Lopez|
|Directed by||Thomas Lopez|
|Recording studio||United States|
|Original release||2007 – present|
|Jack Flanders chronology|
Tropical Hot Dog Night is a radio drama, produced by the ZBS Foundation. It is the nineteenth of the Jack Flanders adventure series and the third of The Fantastic Voyages of Captain Jack Flanders sub-series. It combines elements of Old-time radio with psychic phenomena, supernatural beings and energies.
The crew are sailing towards Key Milagro - also known as Key Diablo by inhabitants of the neighboring islands - where a mysterious fog descends each night and the inhabitants of Key Milagro find the color draining out of everything and being replaced by a rich, hard-boiled film noir fantasy life. The local crime bookshop owner, Johnny Seven, seems to have the answers but he's more interested in playing than talking. Sometimes, however, being dressed to kill is more than just a turn of phrase…
Notes and themes
Part other-worldly tale and part homage to the film noir era of the 1940s and 50s.
Dominique: "It's you, Jack. You think I'm skinny because you have such a fat head."
Johnny: "You seem like the kind of woman who reads classics...Dostoevsky, Chekov, guys like that. It's not the kind of books I sell."
Rose: "You mean books about tough guys?"
Johnny: "That's right."
Rose: "And tough babes who appear helpless and find some sap to buy their sob story and do their dirty work for them and the next thing you know she's skipped out with the dough, he's been framed, she's south of the border sipping Margaritas and the sap is wearing striped suits in the big house. Is that what you mean?"
Johnny: "Er.... why don't you just keep on browsing."
Amanda: "You know, people say, I gotta get some work done but you never hear them say, I gotta get some fun done."
- Jack Flanders - Robert Lorick
- Mojo Sam - Dave Adams
- Claudine - Pascale Poirier
- Dominique - Lindsay Ellison
- Rose - Laura Roth
- Johnny and Fritzy - Hank Heimark
- Danny - Nebadon Adams
- Wolf - Susan Brink
- Producer/Director - Tom Lopez
- Story and Script - M. Fulton
- Music - Tim Clark
- Illustration and Graphics - Jaye Oliver
Recorded at Froggy Acres Studios, Fort Miller, NY.
Tropical Hot Dog Night Disc 1
- 1. Giant Jellyfishes? 9:26
- 2. The Monster May Get You! 7:26
- 3. How To Pick Up A Dame 8:32
- 4. They Call It "Key Diablo" 10:57
- 5. Dreamland Limited 7:27
- 6. And Back We Go, Yo Ho! 11:27
Tropical Hot Dog Night Disc 2
- 1. Nipping At Our Heels 7:40
- 2. The Little Voodoo Heads 7:51
- 3. Gotta Get Some Fun Done 7:26
- 4. What A Chump! 5:27
- 5. Knew What I Know 5:17
- 6. That's My Little Secret 7:18
The Fantastic Voyages of Captain Jack Flanders
Jack, Mojo, Claudine and Dominique sail around the Tropics encountering mysterious and other-worldly incidents.
- Orchids and Moonbeams (2005)
- The Ghost Islands (2006)
- Tropical Hot Dog Night (2007)
- The White Castle (2008)
- ZBS.org link (Tropical Hot Dog Night)
- CD1 Track 1 Giant Jellyfishes 02:28
- CD1 Track 6 And back we go, Yo Ho! 06:19
- CD2 Track 3 Gotta Get Some Fun Done 03:02