Trymedia Systems, Inc. is a division of RealNetworks that provides digital distribution services based on its proprietary ActiveMARK DRM and digital distribution technology. Trymedia is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Berkshire and Alicante.
Trymedia was founded in 1999 as Trymedia Systems, Inc. by cousins Alex Torrubia and Andres Torrubia. The company was launched in Spain, and after a round of fund-raising in New York, relocated to San Francisco. Macrovision acquired Trymedia for US$34 million on July 26, 2005. With the acquisition, Macrovision launched a new games division, Trymedia Games Division, based around Trymedia employees. Trymedia was not a profitable operation, losing $14.5 million on revenue of just over $9 million in 2007. On February 22, 2008, RealNetworks announced it had acquired Trymedia from Macrovision for an undisclosed sum, reported in a Macrovision conference call to be $4million.
Trymedia operates an online network of digitally distributed computer games. The network is integrated into Microsoft's digital locker service, and provides white label online retail services to affiliates such as Electronics Boutique and GameSpot.
ActiveMARK is Trymedia's proprietary technology suite for secure digital distribution. It provides DRM protection for software distributed digitally or by CDs/DVD, along with commerce, distribution, administration and marketing services.
Trygames, a division of Trymedia, is a retail website offering computer games from the Trymedia games network for download, trial and purchase. It was launched in 2001.
- "Directions". Trymedia. Archived from the original on 2007-04-09. Retrieved 2007-05-04.
- Sanders, Adrienne (2005-03-25). "Anti-piracy firm nets booty, sails on". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved 2007-05-04.
- Fulton, Curtis Lee (May 6–10, 2002). "Media Companies 'Still Don't Get It, God Bless 'Em'". The Online Reporter. Retrieved 2007-05-04.
- Sanders, Adrienne (2005-08-05). "Macrovision: Wooing Trymedia Systems on the sly at E3". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved 2007-05-04.
- Richman, Dan (2008-02-22). "Seattle's RealNetworks acquires most of games-maker Trymedia". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved 2008-03-07.
- "RealNetworks to acquire Trymedia from Macrovision" (Press release). RealNetworks. 2008-02-22. Retrieved 2008-03-07.
- "RealNetworks buys Macrovision subsidiary". Puget Sound Business Journal. 2008-02-22. Retrieved 2008-03-07.
- "Macrovision Works With Microsoft to Deliver Over 1,000 Popular Games and Software Programs Online at Windows Marketplace" (Press release). Macrovision. 2006-12-20. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- "Portal / Retail Partners". Trymedia. Archived from the original on 2007-03-17. Retrieved 2007-05-04.
- "Trygames Site Review". Download Free Games. Retrieved 2007-05-04.
|This article about an IT-related or software-related company or corporation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United States retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|