He was Managing Director of Salomon Brothers, where he founded its West Coast Corporate Finance Department and served on its national Corporate Finance Administrative Committee. From 1984 to 1997, he served as Founding Partner of Hellman & Friedman, an investment company. Since 1997, he has served as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Friedman Fleischer & Lowe, a private equity firm. He sits on the Board of Directors of Clorox, Kool Smiles, NCDR, Church's Chicken, Cajun Operating Company, Archimedes Technology, and DPMS[disambiguation needed]. He previously served on the Boards of CapitalSource, Levi Strauss & Co., Mattel, and McKesson Corporation.
He is Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the American Enterprise Institute. He also sits on the Board of Trustees of the Telluride Foundation in Telluride, Colorado. He is a former President of the San Francisco Opera Association and Chairman of Mount Zion Hospital and Medical Center.
- Forbes[dead link]
- Bloomerg BusinessWeek
- Friedman Fleischer & Lowe biography
- Clorox Board of Directors biography
- American Enterprise Institute Board of Trustees
- Telluride Foundation Board of Directors
- Lauren Beale, Estate in Woodside, a Silicon Valley haven, sells for $117.5 million, The Los Angeles Times, January 28, 2013
- Alyssa Abkowitz, A Greenwich House Aims to Sell for $190 Million, The Wall Street Journal, May 17, 2013