Turk's head brush
A Turk's head brush is a type of cleaning brush where the bristles are arranged covering the end of the stem as a half-sphere, so that the end of the stem does not come into direct contact with the surface being cleaned, especially when cleaning the inside of a cylindrical object. A larger type, mounted on a long stem and used for removing cobwebs, is called a "Turk's head broom". The name has long been in use for this type of brush, so named because its cleaning end resembles a "wild" head of hair. Turk's head brushes and brooms are used for domestic purposes, for cleaning artillery, for pharmaceutical use, for sweeping chimneys, and for other purposes.
Some types of toilet bowl brushes with this design are referred to by resellers by the name "Turk's head toilet bowl brush". The Turkish American Legal Defense Fund have argued that this name is derogatory and insulting to Turkish Americans. In response, Newell Rubbermaid, the recipient of TALDF's complaint, stated that the company itself does not use this name in any of its product advertising. However, the name is still used by resellers.
- Peter Richard Wilkinson, Thesaurus of Traditional English Metaphors, 2nd ed, Routledge, 2002, ISBN 0-415-27685-3, p. 110.
- H. C. Davidson, The Book of the Home: An Encyclopaedia of All Matters Relating to the House and Household Management, Gresham, 1905, p. 183.
- Frederick Augustus Griffiths, The Artillerist's Manual, and British Soldier's Compendium, 2nd ed., W.H. Allen and Co., 1840, p. 56.
- Bulletin of Pharmacy, Volume 6, 1892, p. 256.
- Benita Cullingford, British Chimney Sweeps: Five Centuries of Chimney Sweeping, New Amsterdam Books, 2001, ISBN 1-56663-345-1, p. 35.
- Turkish American Legal Defense Fund (TALDF)
- "Türklüğe çirkin yakıştırma" [Ugly reference to Turkishness]. Vatan (in Turkish). June 22, 2009. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
- "ABD'de Türklüğe İĞRENÇ saldırı" [DISGUSTING attack in the USA on Turkishness] (in Turkish). İnteraktif Haber. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
- Letter from Newell Rubbermaid, April 20, 2009.
- "Toilet Bowl Brush, Turks Head [RCP6320]". Rubbermaid Wholesale (not affiliated with Rubbermaid Commercial Products). Retrieved April 1, 2012.