Tuxentius melaena, the black pie or dark pied Pierrot, is a butterfly of the Lycaenidae family. It is found in Africa.
The wingspan is 19–24 mm for males and 21–25 mm for females. Adults are on wing year-round, but are most common from October to March.
The larvae feed on Ziziphus mucronata and probably other Ziziphus species.
- Tuxentius melaena melaena
- Range: South Africa (from Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal coast, inland to Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo and North West) to Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia
- Tuxentius melaena griqua (Trimen, 1887)
- Range: Northern Cape, South Africa
- ^ Tuxentius at Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and Some Other Life Forms
- ^ Woodhall, Steve (2005). Field Guide to Butterflies of South Africa. Cape Town, South Africa: Struik. ISBN 978-1-86872-724-7.