USS Fresno (CL-121)
USS Fresno (CL-121), at Dublin, Ireland, May 1948.
|Namesake:||City of Fresno, California|
|Builder:||Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Kearny, New Jersey|
|Laid down:||12 February 1945|
|Launched:||5 March 1946|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Ruth R. Martin|
|Commissioned:||27 November 1946|
|Decommissioned:||17 May 1949|
|Reclassified:||CLAA-121, 18 March 1949|
|Fate:||Sold for scrap on 17 June 1966|
|General characteristics (as built)|
|Class and type:||Juneau-class light cruiser|
|Length:||541 ft 6 in (165.05 m) oa|
|Beam:||53 ft (16 m)|
|Speed:||32.5 kn (37.4 mph; 60.2 km/h)|
|Complement:||623 officers and enlisted|
|General characteristics (post-war)|
The second USS Fresno (CL-121) was a United States Navy Juneau-class light cruiser launched on 5 March 1946 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company of Kearny, New Jersey, sponsored by Mrs. Ruth R. Martin; and commissioned on 27 November 1946, with Captain Elliott Bowman Strauss in command. She was reclassified CLAA-121 on 18 March 1949.
During her first operational cruise, from 13 January-7 May 1947, Fresno not only concluded her preliminary training in the Caribbean, but also visited Montevideo, Uruguay, during a presidential inauguration and called at Rio de Janeiro. On 1 August, she sailed from Norfolk, Virginia for a tour of duty which took her to ports both of northern Europe and the Mediterranean, returning to Norfolk on 1 December.
A second overseas deployment, from 3 March-19 June 1948, found Fresno visiting Amsterdam, Dublin, Bergen, and Copenhagen from her overseas base at Plymouth, England. Her coastwise operations from Norfolk included cruises to Prince Edward Island and Bermuda prior to her decommissioning at New York Naval Shipyard on 17 May 1949. Placed in reserve, she was berthed at Bayonne, New Jersey. She was sold for scrap on 17 June 1966.
- Rickard, J (13 January 2015). "Atlanta Class Cruisers". Historyofwar.org. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "US Cruisers List: US Light/Heavy/AntiAircraft Cruisers, Part 2". Hazegray.org. 24 April 2000. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Fresno II (CL-121)". Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. Navy Department, Naval History & Heritage Command. 9 July 2015. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Fresno (CL-121).|
- Photo gallery of USS FRESNO (CL/CLAA-121) at NavSource Naval History
|This article about a specific ship or boat of the United States Armed Forces is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|