The University of St. Martin (USM) is a university in Philipsburg, Sint Maarten founded in 1989. It closed on October 31, 2017. As of 2018 it has reopened. Its specialization was the hospitality program, through which it offers the UK accredited Higher National Diploma. The USM had about 350 part and full-time students, and more than 500 alumni. Its president was Dr. Francio Guadeloupe.
USM was established in 1989 by Dr. Albert Claudius Wathey and Ambassador Dr. Hushang Ansary as an annex of Johnson & Wales University. Its facilities were destroyed by Hurricane Lenny in 1999, but the university was rebuilt. Its peach and white buildings overlook the Great Salt Pond in picturesque Philipsburg.
By forging a symbiotic relationship with the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI), USM planned to build additional classrooms and dormitories. The agreement, popularly referred to as UVI@USM, made it possible for students on the island to obtain North American accredited BA and MA degrees. The USM also had articulation agreements with Florida A&M University (FAMU), l’Université de Paris XII: Val-de-Marne, Florida Metropolitan University, Florida State University (FSU), University of South Florida, University of Tampa, Johnson & Wales University (JWU), Berkeley College, Pace University, Monroe College, and Mount Saint Vincent University (MSVU) in Halifax, Canada.
USM offered the following degree programs:
- Associate of Arts in Business with specializations in: Accounting
- Associate of Arts in Business with specializations in: Management
- Associate of Arts in General Liberal Arts
- Associate of Arts in General Liberal Arts (Concentration Math & Science)
- Associate of Applied Arts in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Education (with UVI)
USM also offered a Secondary Teaching Certificate program, English as a Second Language (ESL) program, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) Tutorial Program, and the pre-USM Program (College Preparatory Program, which included the GED). Besides these courses through the UVI@USM students also were eligible to enroll in degree programs offered by the University of the Virgin Islands.
- "USM closing doors in one week – Board thanks students, partners, and staff for their support | University of St. Martin". usm.sx. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "NOTICE: USM REOPENS ITS DOORS! ALL OFFICES WILL BE OPEN AND CLASSES WILL CONTINUE AS SCHEDULED AS OF TODAY, FRIDAY FEBRUARY 9th, 2018.." University of St. Martin. Retrieved on March 28, 2018.
- "University of St. Martin Home". usm.sx. Retrieved 2015-11-24.