Personality disorder not otherwise specified
|Personality disorder, unspecified|
|Other names||Personality disorder NOS (PDNOS)|
|Cluster A (odd)|
|Cluster B (dramatic)|
|Cluster C (anxious)|
|Not otherwise specified|
The DSM-5 does not have a direct equivalent to PD-NOS. However, the DSM-5 other specified personality disorder and unspecified personality disorder are substantially comparable to PD-NOS. Additionally, Personality disorder-trait specified (PD-TS) remains under consideration for future revisions and is presented as an alternative, more generic approach to personality disorders in the form of "general criteria for personality disorder" which primarily assesses "impairments in personality functioning".
This section needs to be updated.(December 2020)
This diagnosis may be given when no other personality disorder defined in the DSM fits the patient's symptoms.
Four personality disorders were excluded from the main body of the DSM-IV-TR but this diagnosis may be used instead. The four excluded personality disorders are:
- Sadistic personality disorder
- Self-defeating personality disorder
- Depressive personality disorder
- Passive–aggressive personality disorder
It is a requirement of DSM-IV that a diagnosis of any personality disorder also satisfies a set of Diagnostic criteria.
It is a requirement of ICD-10 that a diagnosis of any personality disorder also satisfies a set of Diagnostic criteria.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2009)
In one study, PDNOS was found to be the third most frequent personality disorder diagnosis.
- DSM-IV codes (personality disorders)
- Eating disorder not otherwise specified
- Mood disorder not otherwise specified
- Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified
- Verheul R, Bartak A, Widiger T (August 2007). "Prevalence and construct validity of Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDNOS)". J. Pers. Disord. 21 (4): 359–70. doi:10.1521/pedi.2007.21.4.359. PMID 17685833.[permanent dead link]
- American Psychiatric Association (2013). Diagnostic and Statistical manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed.). Washington DC: name. pp. 15. ISBN 978-0-89042-555-8.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth edition Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR) American Psychiatric Association (2000)
- Wilberg T, Hummelen B, Pedersen G, Karterud S (2008). "A study of patients with personality disorder not otherwise specified". Compr Psychiatry. 49 (5): 460–8. doi:10.1016/j.comppsych.2007.12.008. PMID 18702931.