The name Upperthong may be derived from the Danish 'Thing' (a place of military gathering) - there is also a Netherthong - which suggests a link to the Viking invaders who took control of large areas of the North East of England. The name could also be derived from the Viking word 'thong', meaning a strip of land. Upperthong is set on higher ground than Netherthong, suggesting the names could refer respectively to an upper strip of land and a lower strip of land.
Upperthong is part of the Colne Valley constituency, which has been represented by Thelma Walker (Labour) since the 2017 general election. The constituency was previously represented by Jason McCartney (Conservative, 2010–2017), and before that by Kali Mountford (Labour, 1997–2010).
Upperthong Junior and Infant School takes children aged 4 to 11 in 7 single aged classes. The school provides a high level of education to its 192 pupils with an above average overall score in the key stage 1 and 2 league tables.
Although small, Upperthong manages to support a cricket team in the Drakes Huddersfield Cricket League and a football team, who play in Division 4 of the Huddersfield and District Association League.
Several roads in Upperthong form part of the southern section of National Route 68 of the National Cycle Network - the Pennine Cycleway, the route follows Upperthong Lane from its start in Holmfirth, and continues along Wickins Lane and Wolfstones Road.
- Bill Owen, who played Compo in the BBC comedy Last of the Summer Wine, is buried at the parish church, St. John's. In 2017 his friend and fellow Last of the Summer Wine actor Peter Sallis was also buried here.
- Cashing in on Holmfirth's Last of the Summer Wine fame, Compo's Cafe is a popular fish & chip restaurant and takeaway.
- Upperthong also boasts a village hall situated close to the cricket field, used by various clubs and groups in the village.
- Upperthong hosts the World Welly Wanging Championships each year at the Village Gala on the last weekend in June.
- Wickens Lane changes its spelling to Wickins Lane halfway along its length.
- "Kirklees Government Area Profile 2005" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 30 January 2007.
- "Upperthong J&I School". Archived from the original on 9 October 2007. Retrieved 30 January 2007.
- "Upperthong J&I OFSTED Report". Archived from the original on 4 December 2007. Retrieved 30 January 2007.
- "Education - League Tables - Upperthong Junior and Infant School". BBC News.
- "Sustrans - Join the movement".
- "FindArticles.com - CBSi". findarticles.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Upperthong.|