20 Million Minds Foundation (20MM) was founded in January 2011 by Dr. Gary Michelson. Michelson was startled by the cost of textbooks within US higher education and its possible contributing factor to students struggling to access or dropping out of education.   This non-profit organisation seeks to greatly reducing textbook costs by creating more affordable technological enabled books. . Research conducted by the foundation points to significant cost differentials between campus book shops and online alternatives . However, the Association of American Publishers (AAP) have robustly refuted the claims of profiteering, and the misleading statistics behind the idea of cheaper text books point out that publishing has significant costs attached to it .
- Crawford, Amy (6 February 2012). "High cost of textbooks serves as barrier to education". San Fransisco Examiner. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- Timoner, Ondi (17 January 2014). "How 20 Million Minds Uses Tech to Disrupt Education". Huffington Post. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- Young, Jeffrey R. "Free-Textbook Group Will Sell Its E-Books on Chegg, for a Small Fee" (9 January 2013). The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "CSU bookstores don't reveal textbook savings" (23 August 2012). The Business Journal. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "AAP's Roadmap to Misleading Infographics". Association of American Publishers.