User:Amaccormack/7 Days a Skeptic
7 Days a Skeptic is a freeware adventure game created by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. It is the sequel to the popular adventure games 5 Days a Stranger and Trilby's Notes, and another game is due in the series soon. The game takes place nearly four-hundred years in the future, on the spaceship Mephistopheles, by which time mankind has begun to further explore the universe. The game chronicles the story of a veteran psychiatrist, Dr. Jonathan Somerset, and five others on board as they face the same mysterious entity that haunted the protagonists of the first game. By this time the events of the original game have become an urban myth and no-one knows what really happened back at DeFoe Manor. 7 Days a Skeptic draws several parallels with its predecessor, using elements such as dream sequences between each day as well as using similar plot revelations.
As with the other games in the Days series, 7 Days a Skeptic is available as a free download or as a $5 (US) deluxe edition, where a DVD-style author's commentary, easter eggs, outtakes and other extras are also provided.
The game was created in 2004 with the Adventure Game Studio (AGS) engine. Another game, Trilby's Notes exists as an interquel between 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic, acting as an extension of the former and playing on ideas introduced in the latter. The series has received awards and good reviews as a whole, and 7 Days is no exception.
- fullyramblomatic.com 6/12/06: Mistletoe And Whine new Days game announcement (cited 13 December 2006)
- fullyramblomatic.com: 7 Days a Skeptic (cited 13 December 2006)
- AGS Games page, showing the 2 AGS Awards the game won (cited 13 December 2006)
- Review at adventuregamers.com (cited 13 December 2006)
- acid-play.com review (cited 13 December 2006)
- A-for-adventure review (cited 13 December 2006)
- Adventure Lantern review (cited 13 December 2006)
- Osiris Games Freeforall review (cited 13 December 2006)