My name is Peter King. I live in the English Midlands.
I have spent many years researching the history of the iron industry, periodically straying into related subjects, including other metals. I have a doctorate in economic history based on an unpublished thesis, 'The iron trade in England and Wales 1500-1815: the charcoal iron industry and its transition to coke'. I have also written (and had published) about 30 academic articles.
I was working on books on transport history and Water mills and water power, but these are now on hold.
My main research interests are:
- History of the iron industry
- Local history in the West Midlands (region), particularly near where I live.
My main period for research is 1500-1815, but I also research earlier periods, particularly locally
This has spread into:
- Industrial water mills
- History of other metal production
- English overseas trade
- Transport history, particularly:
- Roads up to the end of the turnpike area;
- River navigations; and
- 17th and 18th century railways.