|Founded||In 1995 in Alpine, TX|
|Headquarters||Forth Worth, TX|
|Mike Micallef, President
Al Micallef, Founder
Number of employees
Reata Restaurant is a Texas Cuisine based restaurant group founded by Al Micallef with operating interests in Alpine and Fort Worth, Texas. The restaurant is regarded as an upscale fine dining establishment, and is rated as the top booked restaurant in Fort Worth according to Opentable. The Reata Restaurant Group has operated its flagship restaurant in the old Caravan of Dreams since May of 2002[2,3]. Reata at the Rodeo, Reata at the Backstage and La Espuela Mexican Cantina are Reata run restaurants at the annual Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo for 3 weeks starting in mid January thru the beginning of February[6-11]. In addition, they also provide a high-end catering and event production catering service called Reata on the Road. Reata also produces a line of gourmet bakeware that is sold in the restaurant, along with a cookbook – “Reata: Legendary Texas Cooking” [13-16, 24].
The restaurant was founded by Al Micallef in Alpine, Texas in 1995. The name Reata is Spanish for Rope, which was inspired from the novel Giant, by Edna Ferber. In 1996, the Reata opened its second location in Fort Worth, Texas, on the 35th floor of the Bank One tower. Following a devastating F2 tornado on March 28, 2000, Reata was hit and forced to close[17-21]. Within 6 weeks, the restaurant was rebuilt and operational in the original location that was hit by the tornado. In January 2001 the restaurant was once again forced to close, and re-opened in May 2002 in the building that previously known as the Caravan of Dreams.
In 2001 between the time Reata had to close in the Bank One Tower and Re-opening in Sundance Square, the Reata started a catering division with a 3000sq. ft. commercial kitchen called Reata on the Road. In 2002, Reata opened a facility called Reata at the Rodeo, located in the Amon Carter Exhibits Hall to serve the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. In 2007, Reata took over operation of the Backstage Club at the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo renaming it Reata at the Backstage Club. In the fall of 2008, a cookbook, authored by Mike Micallef, was released called “Reata: Legendary Texas Cooking”[13-16, 24]. This cookbook is sold through Amazon and the Reata Store. In January 2010, Reata opened a Mexican cuisine based Restaurant at the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. It is called La Espuela.
Notable chefs that started their careers at the Reata include Grady Spears, Tim Love, Brian Olenjack, and Tod Phillips.
Tenderloin Tamales with Pecan Mash, Pan-seared Pepper Crusted Tenderloin with Port Wine Sauce, Chicken Fried Steak with Cracked Pepper Gravy, Blackened Buffalo Rib Eye with Cook’s Butter and Dessert Tacos with Caramelized Bananas and Chocolate Gravy.
Reata Fort Worth Sundance Square, Fort Worth, TX
Reata at the Rodeo (operated during the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo)
Reata at the Backstage Club (operated during the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo)
Reata Alpine, Alpine, TX
1. Two Juans Make It Right - http://www.fwweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=979%3Atwo-juans-make-it-right&Itemid=505
2. Reata in Sundance Square - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNx9Pg6cjHA&feature=youtube_gdata
3. Reata at Sundance Square - http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/caravan.htm
4. Restaurant Review – Reference to Tornado - http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/united-states/texas/fort-worth/46023/reata/restaurant-detail.html
5. Reata Grill - http://dfwairport.com/shops/detail.php?coid=376
6. Reata takes on the Backstage challenge - http://www.fwbusinesspress.com/display.php?id=6941
7. Reata at the Rodeo - http://www.fwssr.com/?page_id=1554
8. Reata to take over operations at Backstage Club at Fort Worth Stock and Rodeo Show - http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/oct/22/reata-take-over-operations-backstage-club-fort-wor/
9. Reata to offer lower-priced fare at new restaurant at 2010 stock show - http://www.fwbusinesspress.com/display.php?id=11214
10. Reata revamps Backstage Club at the Fort Worth Stock Show - http://www.fwbusinesspress.com/display.php?id=6616
11. Reata announces temporary restaurants going up for Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo - http://www.topix.com/city/fort-worth-tx/2010/01/reata-announces-temporary-restaurants-going-up-for-fort-worth-stock-show-rodeo
12. Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo - http://www.fwssr.com/?page_id=54
13. (Barnes & Noble) Reata: Legendary Texas Cooking - http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Reata/Mike-Micallef/e/9781580089067
14. (Amazon) Reata: Legendary Texas Cooking - http://www.amazon.com/Reata-Legendary-Cooking-Mike-Micallef/dp/1580089062
15. (Random House) Reata: Legendary Texas Cooking - http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781580089067&view=excerpt
16. Chipotle Brownie - http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/taste/easyrecipes/stories/DN-reata_0107gd.ART.State.Edition1.1bb61ab.html
17. Eyes on Texas – 2000 Tornado - http://www.durangotexas.com/eyesontexas/tornado/fwtornado.htm
18. Tornado Strikes Downtown Fort Worth - http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/tornado.htm
19. Up in the Air - http://www.dallasobserver.com/2000-10-05/restaurants/up-in-the-air/
20. Fort Worth, Texas, Officials Plan to Close Bank One's Tornado-Damaged Tower - http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-121232614/fort-worth-texas-officials.html
21. Restaurant Review – Reference to Tornado - http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/restaurants/reviews/stories/reata.69733868.html
22. Reata at Sundance Catering - http://www.sundancesquare.com/dining/Reata_at_Sundance_Square.aspx
23. Reata on the Road Preview - http://books.google.com/books?id=T2XHFpxVzlwC&pg=PR19&lpg=PR19&dq=reata+on+the+road&source=bl&ots=Pe089mEiEi&sig=J3q_M0xmJEQX26FBH1m8O9nQ0hI&hl=en&ei=zcdxS7__GdOUtgfDrJH2CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=reata%20on%20the%20road&f=false
24. Small Business of the Year Award stokes Reata’s success - http://www.fortworthchamber.com/letter/?p=1210