User onboarding is the process of improving a person's success with a product or service. This term is often used in reference to software products, and it can be done in a manual or automated way. It is the process through which new software is designed such that new users are provided and acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors in order to become “up and running” and effective users of website, app, or software service.
The term originates from the human resources term, Onboarding, that refers to the mechanism through which new employees acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors in order to become effective organizational members.
The goal of user onboarding is to get the users to understand the key principles at the heart of the product and to show them how it will improve their lives. If it can make the point of the product clear and easy to understand the first time a user tries it, have a better chance of gaining excited and engaged customers.
Offering a free trial is an example of how you can implement user onboarding. If someone is able to see how the product is useful and exciting to them within a free trial period, it can take them from being a user to a consumer—willing to invest in order to continue their experience.
User onboarding software breaks down the complicated process of implementing user onboarding and makes it more user friendly for the developer while still producing the same result.
User onboarding is not just a “product tour” - it is the complete experience whereby a user finds success in an application or helping returning users get up to speed with changes.
Effective onboarding helps customers how to successfully use the product without any external effort. You can show the proposed value of your product through a successful onboarding and it also helps users to find their “Aha!” moments easily. 
- Jarvis, Paul (2014-08-25). "User Onboarding: Not Just for HR and Growth Hackers". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "Growth Hacking: Creating a Wow Moment". For Entrepreneurs. 2014-04-01. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- Noel, Jackson. "Intro to User Onboarding". www.appcues.com. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "What is user onboarding for SaaS software?". Inline Manual. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "What is Product Adoption & How to Measure and Increase It for a SaaS Product?". UserGuiding. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
|This software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|