User talk:Thomas Scholten

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Hello, Thomas Scholten, and welcome to Wikipedia! Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:

I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wikipedian! Please sign your messages on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date. If you need help, check out Wikipedia:Questions, ask me on my talk page, or ask your question on this page and then place {{help me}} before the question. Again, welcome! —C.Fred (talk) 23:00, 20 May 2012 (UTC)

Please do not copy text from other websites[edit]

Your addition to User talk:Thomas Scholten has been removed, as it appears to have added copyrighted material to Wikipedia without permission from the copyright holder. (If you are the copyright holder, see Wikipedia:Donating copyrighted materials.) For legal reasons, we cannot accept copyrighted text or images borrowed from other websites or printed material without verifiable license; such additions will be deleted. You may use external websites or publications as a source of information, but not as a source of article content such as sentences or images. Wikipedia takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing. —C.Fred (talk) 23:00, 20 May 2012 (UTC)

Copyright problems with User:Thomas Scholten/sandbox[edit]

Hello. Concerning your contribution, User:Thomas Scholten/sandbox, please note that Wikipedia cannot accept copyrighted text or images obtained from other web sites or printed material, without the permission of the author(s). This article or image appears to be a direct copy from As a copyright violation, User:Thomas Scholten/sandbox appears to qualify for deletion under the speedy deletion criteria. User:Thomas Scholten/sandbox has been tagged for deletion, and may have been deleted by the time you see this message.

If you believe that the article or image is not a copyright violation, or if you have permission from the copyright holder to release the content freely under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License (CC-BY-SA) then you should do one of the following:

However, for textual content, you may simply consider rewriting the content in your own words. While contributions are appreciated, Wikipedia must require all contributors to understand and comply with its copyright policy. Wikipedia takes copyright concerns very seriously, and persistent violators will be blocked from editing. Thank you. —C.Fred (talk) 23:01, 20 May 2012 (UTC)

I was just adding text, but you already deleted my article...
I asked if this article is suitable for Wikipedia, for the existing articles are too special, and that this one gives people an added value / insight / overview on the basics of (commercial) software licensing, and that I think that "Software" or "Software Licenses" would be a good fit, and that I am the author of the text and owner of the website. What do you think, could this article be included or added? Thomas Scholten (talk) 23:42, 20 May 2012 (UTC)
Besides the issue of the license of the text, is that there's already an article on software license, which would cover the same stuff you're looking to write about. —C.Fred (talk) 23:59, 20 May 2012 (UTC)

Basics of software licensing[edit]

Is the following article suitable for Wikipedia? The existing articles are too special, and this one gives people an added value / insight / overview on the basics of (commercial) software licensing. I think that "Software" or "Software Licenses" would be a good fit, what do you think, could this article be included or added? I am the author of the text and owner of the website.

Basics of software licensing

Software manufacturers offer different license models. Licensing is usually per single user (named user, client, node) or per user in the appropriate volume discount level, while some manufacturers accumulate existing licenses. These open volume license programs are typically called Open License Program (OLP), Transactional License Program (TLP), Volume License Program (VLP) etc. and are contrary to the Contractual License Program (CLP), where the customer commits to purchase a certain amount of licenses over a fixed period (mostly two years). Licensing per concurrent/floating user is also possible. Here all users in a network have access to the program, but only a specific number at the same time. Another license model is licensing per dongle which allows the owner of the dongle to use the program on any computer. Licensing per server, CPU or points, regardless the number of users, is common practice as well as Site or Company Licenses. Sometimes you can choose between perpetual (permanent) and annual license. For perpetual licenses one year of maintenance is often required, but maintenance (subscription) renewals are discounted. For annual licenses, there is no Renewal, a new license must be purchased after expiration. Licensing can be per Host/Client (or Guest), Mailbox, IP-Address, Domain etc., depending on how the program is used. Additional users are inter alia licensed per Extension Pack (e.g. up to 99 user), which includes the Base Pack (e.g. 5 user). Some programs are modular, so you have to buy a base product before you can use other modules.

Software licensing also includes maintenance. This, usually with a term of one year, is either included or optional, but must be often bought with the software. The maintenance agreement (contract) contains Minor Updates (V.1.1 => 1.2), sometimes Major Updates (V.1.2 => 2.0) and is called e.g. Update Insurance, Upgrade Assurance. For a Major Update the customer has to buy an Upgrade, if not included in the maintenance. For a maintenance renewal some manufacturers charge a Reinstatement (Reinstallment) Fee retroactively per month, in case the current maintenance has expired. Maintenance normally doesn't include technical support. Here you differentiate between e-mail and tel. support, also availability (e.g. 5x8, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day) and reaction time (e.g. three hours) can play a role. This is likely named Gold, Silver and Bronze Support. Support is also licensed per incident as Incident Pack (e.g. five support incidents per year).

Many manufacturers offer special conditions for schools and government agencies (EDU/GOV License). Migration from another product (Crossgrade), even from a different manufacturer (Competitive Upgrade) is gladly offered.

Basically, inquiries on volume licenses should always be addressed to the manufacturer. The contact can also be made through a reseller like Software Researches. Manufacturers are always responsive, but may refer to a reseller. The channel partner will find a solution with the manufacturer for any request or any problem. In the case of existing licenses the contact to the manufacturer must of course be maintained, which can also be done by a reseller, but the customer as licensee (end user) should not ignore e-mails from the manufacturer, as they could contain important information about license key, download instructions, login details, new releases/ versions etc. Thomas Scholten (talk) 00:00, 21 May 2012 (UTC)

Hello C.Fred, my point is that this isn't covered by the category "Software License", but maybe it could be added, e.g. under "Commercial License Models"? Thomas Scholten (talk) 00:08, 21 May 2012 (UTC)
Talk:Software license is probably a better place to ask that question than here; it'll get it seen by more eyes. —C.Fred (talk) 00:13, 21 May 2012 (UTC)


I received your email. I don't not recall ever blocking you. I checked, and it doesn't appear you have ever been blocked.

I did try to unblock you anyway, but the system claims/confirms you are not blocked.

That said, it looks like you earlier edited talk:software license so perhaps whatever was blocking you is no longer? - jc37 19:07, 21 May 2012 (UTC)

I'm no longer blocked, and I already replied to the latest post. Thank you very much Jc37! Thomas Scholten (talk) 19:34, 21 May 2012 (UTC)