|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (August 2014)|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York|
|Labels||D-Text Records, Explosive Industries, Powerpop Academy|
Valley Lodge came together when John Kimbrough, former singer-guitarist for Minnesota power pop band Walt Mink, met up with comedian/musician Dave Hill (formerly a member of bands such as Cobra Verde, and Sons of Elvis) to compare the home demos they were working on.
Joined by bass player/singer Phil Costello (Satanicide) and drummer Rob Pfeiffer (Sense Field), and inspired by bands such as Cheap Trick, Raspberries, Thin Lizzy and Big Star, they released their eponymous debut album in 2005. The album proved particularly popular in Japan, even getting a re-release with bonus tracks in 2008. The band went on to tour there in March 2009.
The band released their second album, Semester at Sea, on April 21, 2009, containing ten new songs by the band and a cover of Bob Welch's 1970s hit, "Sentimental Lady". At that time, Eddie Eyeball (2 Skinnee J's) joined the band on bass guitar/backing vocals, and Phil Costello switched to guitar.
Valley Lodge's songs "Over It" and "All of My Loving" were featured in episodes of the sitcom Cougar Town. The band's song "Coming Around" was also featured on the sitcom Raising Hope. Their song "The Door" was used in a commercial for the GMC Sierra truck. "All of My Loving" is the theme song for Dave Hill's podcast, Dave Hill's Podcasting Incident. Recently, "All of My Loving" was also featured on a Sonic commercial for their hot dogs.
Valley Lodge's third album, Use Your Weapons, was released on September 3, 2013. A video for the first single "Go" was filmed in Los Angeles in July 2013, and directed by Tim Fornara.
In April 2014, "Go" became the theme song for Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO. In November 2015, the band appeared on Last Week Tonight to play "Go" live, as a way to close the show's second season finale.
Current band members
- Dave Hill – vocals, guitar
- John Kimbrough – vocals, guitar
- Phil Costello – vocals, guitar, vocals
- Rob Pfeiffer – drums
- Eddie Eyeball – bass guitar, vocals
- Woodward, Alex (21 July 2014). "Interview: Dave Hill". Gambit. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "VALLEY LODGE - Semester At Sea". Not Lame Recordings. Archived from the original on January 23, 2013. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Glastetter, Jason (August 5, 2009). "An interview with: Dave Hill". The End of Irony. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "POWERPOP ACADEMY （パワーポップ・アカデミー）- VALLEY LODGE（ヴァレー・ロッジ/ヴァレー・ロッジ）2008.9.26". POWERPOP ACADEMY. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Dave Hill's band Valley Lodge did the theme for 'Last Week Tonight w/ John Oliver' (who crashed the FCC's website)". BrooklynVegan. June 3, 2014. Retrieved August 12, 2014.