Valley View Middle School (Edina, Minnesota)
Valley View Middle School (formerly called Valley View Junior High School) is a four-year (grades 6-9), public middle school located in Edina, Minnesota, USA, a first ring suburb of Minneapolis. The school has a current enrollment of about 1,200 students. It, and its sister school South View Middle School, each take students from three of the six elementary schools of the Edina Public School System.
The school offers a French Immersion program. Thus, students from the Normandale Elementary French Immersion School are able to continue learning in two languages - English and French. Those students have some of their core classes in French.
This school, unlike most middle schools, is a grade six through nine establishment. Valley View also offers three ninth grade classes traditionally reserved for high school; economics, government, and physics.
Two teachers from the school won the secondary category of the Minnesota Historical Society award for excellence in history curriculum in 1991. Valley View is known for having highly regarded teachers who are entertaining and instructive to their students. A team of sixth-graders captured first place, in 1998, in the sixth-grade Blue Division of the WordMasters Challenge, a national language competition, against more than 35,000 participants from 435 private and public schools. In 2011, the ninth-grade Knowledge Masters team won first place internationally. The school won the FBI Safe Online Surfing Award for January and February 2008.
Kent Downing coordinates Valley View's athletic programs.
- "Blue Ribbon Schools Program - Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002, US Department of Education
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005 "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- "Emanuel Teacher receives History Curriculum Award", St. Paul Pioneer Press, September 17, 1991
- "Edina students win national language contest", David Peterson, Star Tribune, June 10, 1998.
- "Edina kids are tops for online safety", Julie Nelson, KARE 11.
- "Reunion turns golden for Minnesota pair", St. Paul Pioneer Press, February 14, 1991
- "I was no longer a loser", Craig Finn, The Guardian, May 11, 2007