Vanessa L. Brown
Vanessa Lowery Brown
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives|
from the 190th district
|Assumed office |
January 6, 2009
|Preceded by||Thomas Blackwell|
Vanessa Lowery Brown is a Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives from the 190th District. She is a member of the Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus. In 2018 she was convicted on seven charges related to a bribery case, six of which were felonies. She was sentences to 23 months probation for her crimes.
On 31 October 2018 Brown was convicted on seven charges stemming relating to bribery. She was found guilty of five felony counts of violating the state conflict-of-interest law, a felony count of bribery, and a further misdemeanor count relating to failure to report payments. The charges resulted from a sting operation which was controversially shut down by Democrat Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane who had claimed the investigations could not produce cases that were winnable in court. On 30 November 2018 Brown was sentences to 23 months probation for her crimes. Despite her bribery conviction, she refused to resign from her position. However, on 12 December, Brown resigned from her seat "under protest".
Brown was represented at trial by Patrick A. Casey, John B. Dempsey and Erik R. Anderson of the Scranton-based law firm, Myers, Brier & Kelly, LLP.
- "SESSION OF 2009 - 193D OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2009-01-06.
- Cox, Harold (2010-02-26). "House Members J". Wilkes University Election Statistics Project. Wilkes University.
- "Members List". Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- McCoy, Craig R. "State Rep. Vanessa Brown guilty on all counts; took $4,000 bribe in sting". http://www2.philly.com. External link in
- Navratil, Liz. "Pa. Rep. Vanessa Brown gets probation for bribery in Philly sting case". http://www2.philly.com. External link in
- Couloumbis, Angela. "Convicted of bribery, Philly legislator Brown refuses to resign". http://www2.philly.com. External link in
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Vanessa Lowery Brown (Democrat) official PA House website
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Vanessa L. Brown official Party website
|This article about a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|