Vanessa L. Brown
Vanessa Lowery Brown
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives|
from the 190th district
January 6, 2009 – December 11, 2018
|Preceded by||Thomas Blackwell|
|Succeeded by||Movita Johnson-Harrell|
Vanessa Lowery Brown
1966 (age 52–53)
|Alma mater||Howard University|
Vanessa Lowery Brown (born 1966) is a former Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives from the 190th District. She is a member of the Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus. In 2018 she was convicted on seven charges related to a bribery case, six of which were felonies. She was sentenced to 23 months probation for her crimes.
On 31 October 2018 Brown was convicted on seven charges stemming relating to bribery. She was found guilty of five felony counts of violating the state conflict-of-interest law, a felony count of bribery, and a further misdemeanor count relating to failure to report payments. The charges resulted from a sting operation which was controversially shut down by Democrat Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane who had claimed the investigations could not produce cases that were winnable in court. On 30 November 2018 Brown was sentenced to 23 months probation for her crimes. Despite her bribery conviction, she refused to resign from her position. However, on 12 December, Brown resigned from her seat "under protest".
Brown was represented at trial by Patrick A. Casey, John B. Dempsey and Erik R. Anderson of the Scranton-based law firm, Myers, Brier & Kelly, LLP.
- "SESSION OF 2009 - 193D OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2009-01-06.
- VANESSA L. LOWERY BROWN - PA House of Representatives
- Cox, Harold (2010-02-26). "House Members J". Wilkes University Election Statistics Project. Wilkes University.
- "Members List". Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Representative Vanessa Lowery Brown - PA House of Representatives
- McCoy, Craig R. "State Rep. Vanessa Brown guilty on all counts; took $4,000 bribe in sting". http://www2.philly.com. External link in
- Navratil, Liz. "Pa. Rep. Vanessa Brown gets probation for bribery in Philly sting case". http://www2.philly.com. External link in
- Couloumbis, Angela. "Convicted of bribery, Philly legislator Brown refuses to resign". http://www2.philly.com. External link in
- State lawmaker from Philly convicted of bribery resigns 'under protest' | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Vanessa Lowery Brown (Democrat) official PA House website
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Vanessa L. Brown official Party website