|Look up vernacular in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Vernacular may refer to:
- Vernacular literature, literature written in the vernacular — the speech of the "common people"
- Written vernacular Chinese, forms of written Chinese based on the vernacular language
- Vernacular orientation, the status that a language is afforded by one of its mother-tongue speakers
- African American Vernacular English, a variety of American English, most commonly spoken by African Americans
Vernacular architecture, a category of architecture based on local needs and construction materials, and reflecting local traditions.
- Estonian vernacular architecture, traditional vernacular architectural styles throughout Estonia
- Indian vernacular architecture, the informal, functional architecture of structures in rural areas of India
- Scottish Vernacular, a form of vernacular architecture in Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Vernacular architecture in Norway, a distinct and pervasive influence within the history of Norwegian architecture
- Vernacular architecture of the Carpathians, unique designs drawing on environmental and cultural sources
Ref. Encyclopedia of Vernacular Architecture of the World, a three-volume encyclopedia detailing the traditional architecture of the world.
Vernacular art is an art alive (contemporary art), based on the past (the mythes, the traditions and the religion) and made by defined groups. Vernacular art is based on the collective memory of this group.
Examples of vernacular art:
- Aboriginal art from Australia
- Vernacular painting in India
- Inuit art
- outsider art
- Naïve art
- Vernacular photography, photographs, usually by amateur or unknown photographers, of everyday life and common things
- Vernacular culture, cultural forms made and organised by ordinary, often indigenous people
- Vernacular dance, dance styles that evolved outside of dance studios
- Vernacular geography, the sense of place that is revealed in ordinary people's language
- Vernacular Press Act, 1878 law for better control of Indian language newspapers
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Vernacular.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.