|Industry||Utilities, call centers|
Gavin James - Global CEO
|Products||Business Process Outsourcing, Customer Management Outsourcing|
Vertex is a call centre operator that also offers a variety of other business process outsourcing (BPO) and customer management outsourcing services. Originally the back office service function inside UK utility company United Utilities, Vertex was spun out as a separate company in 1996. In 2007, United Utilities sold Vertex to a consortium of investors (Oak Hill Capital, GenNx360, Knox Lawrence International) for £217m.
Vertex services include:
- Business process outsourcing
- Customer Management
- Finance & Accounting
- HR Outsourcing
- Debt Management
In 2008, Vertex made a move into the US by acquiring the utilities outsourcing business from Alliance Data. The price was approximately $50m.
Since 2011, Vertex has sold off multiple business units:
- In September 2011, Vertex sold their UK private sector business to Capita plc for approximately £40 million.
- In December 2011, local managers bought out the Australian call-center business (financial terms were not disclosed).
- In June 2012, Vertex sold their UK public sector business to Serco for approximately £55 million.
- Capita plc acquired Vertex Financial Services, a UK mortgage software and services company, in July 2015 for £35m.
Following these sales, the only significant parts of Vertex that remain are the US utilities business and the India domestic call-center business.
- Dey, Iain (17 September 2006). "Liberata joins £400m contest for Vertex". Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- "Vertex Group Limited". Hoover's. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- "United Utilities - Our recent history".
- "United Utilities announces the sale of Vertex to Oak Hill Capital, GenNx360 and Knox Lawrence International".
- "Alliance Data Systems to sell utility services business".
- "Vertex bets big on domestic BPO market, to hire 14, 000 people in 2 years". The Economic Times. 7 June 2011. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- "Capita to acquire Vertex's private sector division".
- "Serco targets UK public sector by acquiring Vertex for £55.5m".
- "Capita buys rival Vertex for £35m".