Vijay Kumar (roboticist)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||12 April 1962|
|Alma mater||Ohio State University|
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
|Institutions||University of Pennsylvania|
|Notable students||Jaydev P. Desai|
Vijay Kumar (born 12 April 1962) is an Indian roboticist and UPS foundation professor in the School of Engineering & Applied Science with secondary appointments in computer and information science and electrical and systems engineering at the University of Pennsylvania, and became the new Dean of Penn Engineering on 1 July 2015. Kumar is known for his research in the control and coordination of multi-robot formations. He was elected to the American Philosophical Society in 2018.
- B. Tech., Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, May 1983
- M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, March 1988
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, September 1987
About his research work
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2017)
Honours and awards
- The Ohio State University Presidential Fellowship (1986)
- NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award (1991)
- Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching, University of Pennsylvania (1996)
- The Ferdinand Freudenstein Award for significant contributions to mechanisms and robotics awarded at the 5th National Conference on Mechanisms and Robotics (1997)
- Best paper award, Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems (2002)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2003)
- Kayamori Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2004)
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Distinguished Lecturer (2005)
- Fellow, Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (2005)
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Distinguished Award (2012)
- George H. Heilmeier Faculty Award for Excellence in Research (2013) 
- Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Award (2013)
- IIT Kanpur Distinguished Alumnus Award 2013–14, for his outstanding contributions to the area of control and coordination of multi-robot formations.
- The Joseph Engelberger Award by the Robotics Industries Association (2014)
- Kim, Isabel. "BREAKING: Vijay Kumar named new dean of engineering". TheDP.com. The Daily Pennsylvanian. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Desai, J.P.; Ostrowski, J.P.; Kumar, V. (2001). "Modeling and control of formations of nonholonomic mobile robots". IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation. 17 (6): 905–908. doi:10.1109/70.976023. Retrieved 29 June 2008.
- Desai, J.P.; Ostrowski, J.; Kumar, V. (1998). "Controlling formations of multiple mobile robots". Robotics and Automation, 1998. Proceedings. 1998 IEEE International Conference on. 4.
- "Election of New Members at the 2018 Spring Meeting". American Philosophical Society. 28 April 2018. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- "Vijay Kumar Receives Heilmeier Research Award". Penn Engineering. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
|This biography of an American academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|