Virginia Symphony Orchestra
- Chrysler Hall, Norfolk
- The Sandler Center for the Performing Arts, Virginia Beach
- Ferguson Center for the Arts, Newport News
- Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg
- Regent University in Virginia Beach
Walter Edward Howe, Marian Carpenter and Robert C. Whitehead founded the orchestra in 1920 as the Norfolk Civic Symphony Orchestra. The orchestra gave its first concert on 21 April 1921, conducted by Howe, who was the first music director of the orchestra. At the time, the Norfolk Civic Symphony Orchestra was the only American orchestra between Baltimore and Atlanta.
In 1949, during the music directorship of Edgar Schenkman, the Norfolk Civic Symphony Orchestra merged with the Civic Chorus to form the Norfolk Symphony and Choral Association. During the subsequent music directorship of Russell Stanger, the orchestra hired its first African-American musician, and took up residency in Chrysler Hall, which had opened in 1972. During the 1970s, the orchestra began collaboration with the Virginia Opera. During the US economic crisis and recession of the 1970s, the Virginia Symphony assumed its present form in 1979 with the merger of the Norfolk Symphony, Peninsula Symphony Orchestra, and the Virginia Beach Pops Symphony.
In May 1991, JoAnn Falletta was appointed the orchestra's eleventh music director, the first female conductor to be named music director of the VSO. In April 2018, the VSO announced that Falletta is to stand down as its music director in June 2020. Falletta now has the title of music director laureate of the orchestra.
- Walter Edward Howe
- W. Henry Baker
- Bart Wirtz
- Arthur Fickenscher
- Frank L. Delpino
- Henry Cowles Whitehead (1934–1948)
- Edgar Schenkman (1948–1966)
- Russell Stanger (1966–1980)
- Richard Williams (1980–1986)
- Winston Dan Vogel (1986–1990)
- JoAnn Falletta (1991–2020)
- Eric Jacobsen (2021–present)
- Yana Ginburg (2020-07-13). "Virginia Symphony Orchestra, 100 years | Anniversary Issue". Inside Business. Retrieved 2021-06-02.
- Allan Kozinn (17 April 1997). "A Consolidated Orchestra That's Thriving". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- "Beloved Msestro JoAnn Falletta To Bid Farewell in 2020" (Press release). Virginia Symphony Orchestra. 17 April 2018. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- "The Orlando Philharmonic's Eric Jacobsen accepts additional position as Music Director of Virginia Symphony Orchestra" (Press release). Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra. 2 June 2021. Retrieved 2021-06-02.