|Known for||Board game designer
Video game designer
Vladimír Chvátil /vlaɟɪmiːr xvaːcɪl/ (often known professionally as Vlaada Chvátil /vlaːda xvaːcɪl/) is a Czech board game designer and a video game designer. He became a recognizable name in the board game community following the publication of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization in 2006 and thereafter his designs frequently made the top 100 list on BoardGameGeek. In 2016 he won the coveted award "Spiel des Jahres" (Game of the Year) in Germany for his game "Codenames".
His most notable video game project was a realtime strategy Original War. He later worked on the role-playing video game Vision that has never been finished. In 2006 he left Altar and started to focus on board games. In 2010 he worked on Family Farm, a game that was developed by Hammerware.
Vlaada's designs are strongly rooted in the game's theme preferring the mechanics that fit the theme best. His attachment to the theme is also evident in the way he writes the rules for his games which always make the theme apparent and sometimes even use the theme to inject humor into the process of learning a game.
He also gained a reputation for innovative mechanics, especially visible in a game like Galaxy Trucker which required the players to simultaneously rummage through a pile of cardboard tiles looking for ones to improve their spaceship.
- 1992- Cervii
- 1997: Fish Fillets NG
- 2001: Original War
- 2007: Fish Fillets 2
- 2010: Family Farm
- 2014: Galaxy Trucker
- 1997: Arena: Morituri te salutant
- 2002: Prophecy
- 2006: Graenaland
- 2006: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization winner of 2007 International Gamers Awards – General Strategy; Multi-player
- 2007: Kámen – Zbraně – Papír (Rock – Paper – Weapons)
- 2007: Galaxy Trucker recommended at 2008 Spiel des Jahres
- 2008: Space Alert winner of 2009 Spiel des Jahres "New Worlds Game"
- 2009: Dungeon Lords
- 2009: Bunny Bunny Moose Moose
- 2010: Sneaks & Snitches
- 2010: Travel Blog
- 2011: Dungeon Petz
- 2011: Mage Knight: Board Game
- 2011: Pictomania
- 2013: Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
- 2015: Codenames
- 2016: Star Trek: Frontiers based on the same system from Mage Knight
- http://bonusweb.idnes.cz/vlada-chvatil-original-war-nas-bavilo-dwi-/Magazin.aspx?c=A010620_vladachvatil010621_bw Czech
- http://www.pc-hry.com/vision-ceske-rpg-od-altar-interactive-konci-3393/ Czech
- http://freehry.doupe.zive.cz/magazin/hammerware-rozhovor-s-martinem-prochazkou/ Czech
- , interview with opinionatedgamers.com
- , example of rulebook style
- "Cervii (Červi)". Oldgames.sk. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- http://www.databaze-her.cz/hry/fish-fillets-ii/zajimavosti/ Czech
- http://pc.hrej.cz/novinky/2010/04/01/nova-ceska-hra-family-farm-21757/ Czech
|This board game-related article or section is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|