||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (November 2011)|
Vladimir Kovačević (born 15 January 1961, Nikšić) is a Montenegrin Serb military officer who was charged with violation of the laws of war by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) for his actions in the siege of Dubrovnik during the Croatian War of Independence.
Kovačević faced six counts of violations of the laws of war all related to the bombing of the UNESCO Heritage Site of Dubrovnik by the Third Battalion of the JNA 472 (Trebinje) Motorised Brigade, of which he was in command.
On 31 January 2005, the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) sentenced Strugar to eight years in prison for his role in the 1991 shelling of Dubrovnik. In 2004 Kovačević was ruled unfit for trial due to mental health problems.
On 30 July 2007, the Serbian Office of the War Crimes Prosecutor announced the indictment of former Yugoslavia Army Captain Vladimir Kovačević for war crimes associated with the 1991 Siege of Dubrovnik.
The prosecutor was quoted by Associated Press saying that Kovačević was being treated at the Belgrade military hospital and that experts would assess his capacity to attend trial in the future, adding it was not immediately clear if or when proceedings against Kovacevic could start.
- Bosnian War
- Croatian War of Independence
- International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- Siege of Dubrovnik
- "Case Information Sheet: "Dubrovnik" (IT-01-42/2) Vladimir Kovačević" (PDF). International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
- "The Prosecutor of the Tribunal against Pavle Strugar Vladimir Kovacevic: Second Amended Indictment" (PDF). International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
- "Judgement in the Case the Prosecutor V. Pavle Strugar". International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. Archived from the original on 5 August 2009.
- Hall, Liza (31 January 2005). "Yugoslav general sentenced for Dubrovnik siege". JURIST.
- "TУЖИЛАШТВО ПОДИГЛО ОПТУЖНИЦУ ПРОТИВ ВЛАДИМИРА КОВАЧЕВИЋА "РАМБА" ЗА ГРАНАТИРАЊЕ ДУБРОВНИКА" [Indictments issued against Vladimir Kovačević in the shelling of Dubrovnik] (PDF) (Press release) (in Serbian). Serbian Office of the War Crimes Prosecutor. 30 July 2007.
- Sung, Michael (30 July 2007). "Former Serbia army officer indicted for 1991 Dubrovnik shelling". JURIST.
- "Serbia's war crimes prosecutor charges ex-army officer in 1991 shelling of Dubrovnik". LawInfo. Associated Press. 30 July 2007. Archived from the original on 20 October 2007.