|Native name||Владимир Григорьевич Егоров|
November 26, 1938 (age 78)|
|Service/branch||Soviet Navy, Russian Navy|
|Years of service||1961–1992|
|Commands held||Baltic Fleet|
|Other work||governor of Kaliningrad Oblast 2001–2005|
Vladimir Grigor'evich Yegorov (Russian: Владимир Григорьевич Егоров) was the governor of Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia in 2001–2005. He was Admiral commanding the Baltic Fleet before he became governor. He was born in Moscow in 1938.
Yegorov was born in Moscow in 1938, after completing high school he worked as a lathe operator in a factory in Leningrad before entering the M.V. Frunze Higher Naval School. Yegorov graduated with the gold medal in 1962 and joined the Northern Fleet. In 1964 he transferred to the Baltic fleet and was torpedo officer on a destroyer. He completed the higher officers course in 1971 and commanded the Krivak class frigate Bditelnny and the Kashin class destroyer Obraztsovy. Between 1974 and 1984 Yegorov commanded squadrons of destroyers and a flotilla of missile boats of the Baltic Fleet. In 1984 he completed the General Staff Academy and was subsequently base commander at Baltiysk and commander of the Soviet Mediterranean squadron of the Black Sea Fleet. Yegorov was promoted to Admiral and commanded the Baltic Fleet from 1991.
Yegorov was elected Governor of the Kaliningrad Oblast in November 2000, defeating incumbent Governor Leonid Gorbenko in the gubernatorial election. Yegorov's candidacy was supported by Russian President Vladimir Putin. He retired from office in 2005.
Yegorov was seriously injured in a car accident on 7 May 2009 Ref
Yegorov is an honorary citizen of Kaliningrad and an honorary member of the Swedish Royal Marine Society. He is also an honorary member of the St Petersburg Maritime Council and the Society of Military Attaches.
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland, 3rd class
- Order of Military Merit
- Order for Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR, 2nd class and 3rd class
- Jubilee Medal "300 Years of the Russian Navy"
- Jubilee Medal "In Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary since the Birth of Vladimir Il'ich Lenin"
- Jubilee Medal "Twenty Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945"
- Jubilee Medal "50 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "60 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Jubilee Medal "70 Years of the Armed Forces of the USSR"
- Medal "For Impeccable Service", 1st, 2nd and 3rd class