WS_FTP Professional 12.5
WS_FTP Server 7.7
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
WinSock File Transfer Protocol, or WS_FTP, is a secure file transfer software package produced by Ipswitch, Inc. Ipswitch is a Massachusetts-based software producer established in 1991 that focuses on networking and file sharing. WS_FTP consists of an FTP server and an FTP client and has over 40 million users worldwide.
John A. Junod, a decorated Army master sergeant, developed WS_FTP in 1993. WS_FTP was originally released as Shareware. The rights were sold to Ipswitch in 1996 when Junod retired from the Army and joined Ipswitch.
File Transfer Protocols are used to transfer large files. FTP clients add stability and encryption options over traditional FTP transfers. The WS_FTP client has a "classic" GUI with two panes, one showing the local computer and the other accessing the remote host, though newer versions of the software have updated interfaces, including a web browser interface. The WS_FTP secure server encrypts files using SSL/FTPS, SSH, or SCP2 and HTTPS transfers. It is self-contained, eliminating the need for an external database. WS_FTP's additional built-in capabilities include email client integration, alerts and notification, server failover, and transfer scheduling.
- "WinSock File Transfer Protocol (WS_FTP)". United States Department of Veterans Affairs. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Mark A. Miller (September 11, 2009). "Ipswitch Offers Products for Diverse Businesses". Enterprise Networking. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Scott Clark. "Software for Web Developers: Top Five". HTML Goodies. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Brandon Haddock (August 4, 1998). "Area man's software wins honor". Augusta Chronicle. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Mike Avery (March 30, 1998). "WS_FTP makes downloads painless". InfoWorld. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Alex Woodie (September 24, 2013). "Ipswitch Adds iOS and Android Clients to MFT Suite". IT Jungle. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Joseph Moran (July 8, 2010). "Getting Started With IPswitch's FTP Server -- WS_FTP Server 7.5". ServerWatch. Retrieved July 24, 2016.