The Academy was opened in August 1990, and closed at the end of the 2007 summer term.
Feeder primary schools
- Overton Primary - serving the Overton, Pennyfern and "the estates" areas of Greenock.
- Highlander's Academy Primary - serving the Town centre and the Bow Farm areas of Greenock.
Schools formerly associated with Wellington
- Hillend Primary School (1990 only)
- Oakfield Primary (until 2004) - serving the Weir Street, Muakinhill and Gibshill areas of Greenock.
- King's Glen Primary (until 2004) - serving the Leven Road, Clynder Road and Strone areas of Greenock.
- King's Oak Primary (2004-2006) - amalgamated Oakfield and King's Glen primaries, areas as above. Now associated with Port Glasgow High School/Greenock Academy.
- Lady Alice Primary - serving the Grieve Road and Barr's Cottage areas of Greenock. Now associated with Greenock High School.
In June 2007, Wellington amalgamated with Greenock High School. Both schools merged into a new school built on the site of the Ravenscraig Football Pitches - close to the Greenock High site in the Spango Valley area of Greenock.
Wellington also had a Nursery or Pre-School located in its campus as well as facilities for the disabled. It had a fitness suite as well as sports facilities. It also had a reputation for Learning Support and catering for additional needs and there were teacher training classrooms and Sport Scotland facilities located on site.
The school played host to a community wing on the first floor which was also a common room for sixth year pupils - a facility which was well used by pupils and also various youth clubs who use it.