||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Wen Spencer (born 1963) is an American science fiction and fantasy writer whose books center on characters with unusual abilities. They might be regarded as variations on the standard vampire and werewolf themes. In 2003, she was the winner of the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer.
Spencer was raised on a family farm in Evans City, Pennsylvania and attended the University of Pittsburgh, earning a degree in Information science, and has been active in science fiction fandom. Her Ukiah Oregon series features a partly alien character with gentle nature, powerful abilities, and dangerous, werewolfesque relatives. Her novel Tinker features a young woman of extraordinary brilliance who is turned into an elf. A Brother's Price posits a world where the gender birth ratio is skewed heavily towards baby girls.
Ukiah Oregon series
- Alien Taste (2001), Compton Crook Award winner
- Tainted Trail (2002)
- Bitter Waters (2003)
- Dog Warrior (2004)
Tinker (Elfhome) series
Fantasy novels set in near-future Pittsburgh and Elfhome
- Tinker (2003), 2004 Sapphire Award for the Best Science Fiction Romance novel
- Wolf Who Rules (2006)
- Elfhome (2012)
- Wood Sprites (2014)
- Steel City Magic – Science Fiction Book Club omnibus edition of Tinker and Wolf Who Rules (April 2006)
- Short stories set in the Elfhome Universe
- set in the Elfhome Universe
- "Once Upon a Toad" in Fantastic Companions (2005)
- "Another Man's Meat" in Triangulation 2004: A Confluence of Speculative Fiction (2004)
- "Moon Monkeys" in Adventures in Sol System (2004)
- "Rituals for a New God" in Turn the Other Chick (2004)
- "Young Robots in Love" in Triangulation 2003: A Confluence of Speculative Fiction (2003)
- "Protection Money" in Jim Baen's Universe (2006), (later part of Elfhome #3)
- "The Long List of Hugo Awards, 2003". www.nesfa.org. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Spencer, Wen (2001-07-01). Alien Taste. New York, N.Y.: Roc. ISBN 9780451458377.
- "Compton Crook Award Winners". Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Spencer, Wen (2002-06-01). Tainted Trail. New York, N.Y.: Roc. ISBN 9780451458872.
- Spencer, Wen (2003-05-06). Bitter Waters. New York: Roc. ISBN 9780451459220.
- Spencer, Wen (2004-10-05). Dog Warrior. New York, N.Y.: Roc. ISBN 9780451459909.
- Spencer, Wen (2004-12-01). Tinker. New York: Baen. ISBN 9780743498715.
- "Sapphire Awards 2004". Science Fiction Awards Database. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Spencer, Wen (2006-04-04). Wolf Who Rules. Riverdale, NY; New York: Baen. ISBN 9781416520559.
- Spencer, Wen (2012-07-03). Elfhome. Riverdale, NY; New York: Baen. ISBN 9781451637830.
- Excerpt from Elfhome
- Spencer, Wen (2014-09-02). Wood Sprites. Baen. ISBN 9781476736716.
- Spencer, Wen (2005-07-05). A Brother's Price. New York, N.Y.: Roc. ISBN 9780451460387.
- Spencer, Wen (2007-12-04). Endless Blue. Riverdale, NY; New York: Baen. ISBN 9781416573852.
- Spencer, Wen (2013-06-04). Eight Million Gods. Baen. ISBN 9781451638981.
- Peace Offering on Baen Books