West Ashfield tube station
West Ashfield underground station is a mock-up London Underground District line station situated on the third floor of Ashfield House in West Kensington. It is used for staff training purposes and was opened in 2010 at a cost of £800,000.
Designed by Reyneke Designs and completed in 2009, the station is used by the London Underground for training staff and is laid out exactly as a real station would be, except it is significantly shorter, the anti-suicide pit is a painted effect and the train façade in the tunnel won't actually move into the station.
The single platform is nominally a westbound platform on the District line. Staff are able to run training sessions which reflect signal points, tannoy announcements and electricity power controls. A fan in an upper corner of the room simulates the familiar blast of air when a train arrives and the platform can vibrate to simulate the rumbling of an approaching train.
The Model Railway
Also located at the West Ashfield training facility, and also designed by Reyneke Designs, is a fully working model railway, which is used to simulate various faults, so that staff can learn how to deal with them.
The five stations on The Model Railway are: 'Hobbs End', 'Kensington Palace', 'West Ashfield', 'Strand-on-the-Green' and 'Hammersmith Bridge'.
- Bryant, Miranda (21 July 2010). "The Tube station that cost £1million but has no passengers". Evening Standard. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- Michelle Stevens (18 January 2010). "Mock tube station gives London Underground staff real-life training". CIPD. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- West Ashfield Simulated LUL Station page at the Reyneke Designs website.
- Fully Signalled Model Railway for London Underground page at Reneke Designs website.
- IanVisits tour of the station
- West Ashfield Station - a simulated London Underground Station by Reyneke Designs "3D Animation created to develop and communicate the design concept, generate interest, secure funding, and form part of the tender documentation."
- West Ashfield Station Lighting Sequence Animation by Reyneke Designs "Lighting Sequence Animation created to illustrate the design intention, demonstrate timings and form part of the tender documentation."
- The Making of a Fully Signalled London Underground Model Railway by Reyneke Designs "The Model Railway forms part of the West Ashfield Station training facility on the third floor of Ashfield House in West London. It is a fully signalled LUL railway in miniature, comprising 5 stations, 3 of which are situated in controlled areas. The maximum number of trains that may be in service is 16."