Weston-super-Mare Sand Sculpture Festival
The first festival in 2006 used 30 tonnes of sand, and featured a giant King Kong. By 2014 approximately 5,000 tonnes of sand from the beach was used by 20 international artists to create exhibits. North Somerset initially sponsored the evnt, however in 2012 they stopped their funding and alternative sponsors were sought. The 2013 festival was themed around Hollywood.
The 2014 festival was based on the a theme of Once Upon a Time and included exhibits from traditional children's stories such as Beatrix Potter, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and The Chronicles of Narnia. It also included some which had recently been made into films such as Game of Thrones, The Hobbit and The Hunger Games.
In May three of the 30 sculptures were damaged by vandals.
- "Weston Sand Sculpture Festival". Love Weston. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "About". Weston Sand Sculpture Festival. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Weston-super-Mare sand sculpture festival begins". BBC. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Weston-super-Mare sand sculpture festival under threat". BBC. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Sand Sculptures At Weston Super Mare 2013: Grainy Gollum, Marilyn Monroe And Harry Potter At The Beach". Huffington Post. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Driver, Carol (14 April 2014). "From Game of Thrones to The Hobbit, artists create giant fantasy figures from 4,000 TONNES of sand for beach festival". Daily Mail. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Amazing creations take shape for Weston-super-Mare sand sculpture festival". Western Daily Press. 12 April 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Art students dig down in the sand at beach festival". Weston College. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Weston-super-Mare sand sculptures attacked by vandals". BBC. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Weston-super-Mare Sand Sculpture Festival.|