What If? 2
What If? 2, subtitled More What If?: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been, is a collection of twenty-five essays dealing with counterfactual history. It was published by G.P. Putnam's Sons in 2001, ISBN 0-399-14795-0, and edited by Robert Cowley. It is the successor of What If? It was combined with the original What If? in The Collected What If?
- "Socrates Dies at Delium, 424 BC" by Victor Davis Hanson
- "Not By A Nose" by Josiah Ober
- "Pontius Pilate Spares Jesus" by Carlos M. N. Eire
- What if Jesus had not been crucified and instead lived into old age?
- "Repulse at Hastings, October 14, 1066" by Cecelia Holland
- "The Chinese Discovery of the New World, 15th century" by Theodore F. Cook, Jr.
- What if Zheng He's expeditions had been allowed to continue?
- "Martin Luther Burns at the Stake, 1521" by Geoffrey Parker
- "If Charles I Had Not Left Whitehall, August 1641" by Theodore K. Rabb
- "Napoléon's Invasion of North America" by Thomas Fleming
- "If Lincoln Had Not Freed the Slaves" by Tom Wicker
- What if there was no Emancipation Proclamation?
- "France Turns the Other Cheek, July 1870" by Alistair Horne
- What if there had been no Franco-Prussian War?
- "The Election of Theodore Roosevelt, 1912" by John Lukacs
- "The Great War Torpedoed" by Robert L. O'Connell
- "No Finland Station" by George Feifer
- "The Luck of Franklin Delano Roosevelt" by Geoffrey C. Ward
- What if FDR's life or circumstances had been different in the 20th century? (Seven counterfactual scenarios are presented here.)
- "The War of 1938" by Williamson Murray
- "Prime Minister Halifax" by Andrew Roberts
- What if Lord Halifax had been Prime Minister instead of Churchill?
- "The Boys Who Saved Australia, 1942" by James Bradley
- "Enigma Uncracked" by David Kahn
- "Pius XII Protests The Holocaust" by Robert Katz
- What if the Vatican had been more forceful against the Nazi regime?
- "VE Day — November 11, 1944" by Caleb Carr
- "The Führer in the Dock" by Roger Spiller
- What if Hitler had lived to stand trial?
- "No Bomb, No End" by Richard B. Frank
- What if Operation Olympic had proceeded on November 1, 1945?
- "The Presidency of Henry Wallace" by James Chace
- "A Tale of Three Congressmen, 1948" by Lance Morrow
- "What if Pizarro Had Not Found Potatoes in Peru?" by William H. McNeill
- "As a mental exercise or from simple curiosity, it is not uncommon to wonder what might have happened if an event had ended other than as history records." --Washington Times
- "A follow-up to the 1999 book by prominent historians who each examine a key moment in history and theorize how a slight turn of fate at a decisive moment could have changed history. The first book helped give alternate history its "serious" look, and this book should cement that." --USA Today
- "Playing with alternate history again, Hastings to atom bomb". Washington Times. October 14, 2001. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- Squitieri, Tom (December 18, 2001). "Growing book genre gives history a do-over". USA Today. Retrieved 23 June 2012.