Whatever You Want
|Whatever You Want|
|Studio album by Status Quo|
|Recorded||December 1978 - March 1979 at Hilversum Studios|
|Status Quo chronology|
|Singles from Whatever You Want|
Whatever You Want is the twelfth studio album by the British rock band Status Quo. It features 10 tracks including the title track. This was the band's third album to be produced by Pip Williams. Recording began in December 1978 at Hilversum Studios in the Netherlands, with the final mixes being completed in London in March 1979. The album was released on 12 October 1979 and entered the chart on 20 October 1979, reaching as high as no. 4. The first single from the album — "Whatever You Want" — was released on 14 September, with "Hard Ride" as the B-side, and also reached a peak position of no. 4. The second single from the album was "Living On an Island", the B-side being "Runaway". This was released on 16 November 1979 and reached no. 16 in the chart.
The album was remixed for the US market and this version was released in the USA with the title Now Hear This in 1980, and it was finally released on CD as part of the 2016 deluxe remaster. However this omitted two tracks, Shady Lady and Your Smiling Face. These are therefore only available on the original vinyl/cassette/8-track releases. The tracks "Whatever You Want" and "Living On an Island" were also swapped in the running order of the US remixed version.
- "Whatever You Want" (Rick Parfitt, Andy Bown) — 4:04
- "Shady Lady" (Francis Rossi, Bob Young — 3:00
- "Who Asked You" (Alan Lancaster) — 4:00
- "Your Smiling Face" (Parfitt, Bown) — 4:25
- "Living on an Island" (Parfitt, Young) — 4:48
- "Come Rock with Me" (Rossi, Bernie Frost) — 3:15
- "Rockin' On" (Rossi, Frost) — 3:25
- "Runaway" (Rossi, Frost) — 4:39
- "High Flyer" (Lancaster, Young) — 3:47
- "Breaking Away" (Rossi, Parfitt, Bown) — 6:44
2005 reissue bonus tracks
- "Hard Ride" (Lancaster, Mick Green)
- "Bad Company" (Pip Williams, Peter Hutchins)
- "Another Game In Town" (demo) (Rossi, Frost)
- "Shady Lady" (demo) (Rossi, Young)
- "Rearrange" (demo) (Rossi, Frost)
- "Living On An Island" (single version) (Parfitt, Young)
The album was first released in compact disc format in 1991, on a CD also containing Just Supposin'. To make the two albums fit the single disc, the track "High Flyer" was omitted, while the song "The Wild Ones" was omitted from Just Supposin').
The album was digitally remastered and released in compact disc format in 2005. The first release was on 7 March 2005 by Mercury Records in the United Kingdom; the second on 12 July 2005 by Universal Records International in the United States and elsewhere.
- Francis Rossi — guitar, vocals
- Rick Parfitt — guitar, vocals
- Alan Lancaster — bass, vocals
- John Coghlan — drums
- Additional personnel