Where You At
|"Where You At"|
|Single by Jennifer Hudson|
|from the album I Remember Me|
|Released||February 8, 2011
(see release history)
|Jennifer Hudson singles chronology|
"Where You At" is a song recorded by American recording artist Jennifer Hudson. It was written and produced by fellow R&B singer R. Kelly for her second album I Remember Me (2011). Released as the album's lead single, the song debuted on January 24, 2011 and was released on February 8, 2011. Remixes for the song have been made by Dave Audé.
The song received acclaim from music critics. Thomas Conner from Chicago Sun-Times admired Hudson's voice saying, "' Where You At,' written and produced by fellow South Sider R. Kelly, roars to a big finish with Hudson shouting, 'Deliver!' until she rockets right off the treble clef—just in time for an incredibly ill-advised fade-out." Elysa Gardner from USA Today claims, "It's a credit to the singer's personal grace and her artistic instincts that she avoids easy sentimentality, dressing down a lover on R. Kelly-written single Where You At..." Kevin Ritchie from Now Magazine enjoyed the lyrics, calling it a "vivid riposte to an elusive lover." Genevieve Koshi from The A.V. Club acclaimed the song by saying, "the R. Kelly-written-and-produced “Where You At” manages a comparatively subtler, sexy groove, and sounds pretty much exactly like you’d expect an R. Kelly song sung by Jennifer Hudson to sound." The music video for the song also won the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Music Video at the 43rd NAACP Image Awards.
Hudson performed "Where You At" on The Oprah Winfrey Show on February 10, 2011. She performed the song on March 23, 2011, on "The Wendy Williams Show" She also performed the song on The Ellen DeGeneres Show which aired on February 16, 2011 and on The View on March 22, 2011. On March 25, 2011 she performed the track on American Idol.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- "Where You At" - 3:30
- "Where You At" (Dave Audé Club Instrumental) - 6:45
- "Where You At" (Dave Audé Club Mix) - 6:45
- "Where You At" (Dave Audé Dub) - 6:15
- "Where You At" (Dave Audé Mixshow) - 5:22
- "Where You At" (Dave Audé Radio Edit) - 4:08
The single first appeared on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number 53 and peaked at number 10. It also debuted at number 96 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. In its third week and during the album's release week, the song jumped 25 positions to number 64 on the chart.
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||103|
|US Billboard Hot 100||64|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||3|
|Radio Songs Chart (Billboard)||60|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||10|
|R&B Adult Songs (Billboard)||1|
|R&B/Hip Hop Songs Year End (Billboard)||54|
Radio debut and release history
|United States||January 24, 2011||Radio debut|
|February 8, 2011||Digital download|
- Conner, Thomas (March 16, 2011). CD review: Jennifer Hudson, 'I Remember Me' - Music: Via Chicago. Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved on 2011-03-20.
- Gardner, Elysa (March 20, 2011). Review: 'I Remember Me' by Jennifer Hudson - USATODAY.com. USA Today. Retrieved on 2011-03-20.
- Ritchie, Kevin (March 17, 2011). NOW Magazine // Music // Jennifer Hudson - I Remember Me. Now Magazine. Retrieved on 2011-03-20.
- Koski, Genevieve (March 22, 2011). Jennifer Hudson: I Remember Me | Music | Music Review | The A.V. Club. The A.V. Club. Retrieved on 2011-03-22.
- NAACP Image Awards 2012: Full list of winners
- Rap Up Magazine (February 10, 2011). "Jennifer Hudson performs Where you At on Oprah". Rap-Up. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "Jennifer Hudson Ellen Degeneres Show Video". Shallow Nation. February 16, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "Jennifer Hudson performs "Where You At" on The View". Chicago Now. March 22, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Kara Warner (March 24, 2011). "Jennifer Hudson Asks 'Where You At?' On 'American Idol' - Music". MTV Networks. MTV. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "Jennifer Hudson's Where You At Still". Rodon Line. February 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "Jennifer Hudson's Where You At Video". Rap-Up. February 17, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Instinct Staff (7 March 2011). "Free Download: Jennifer Hudson "Where You At" [Dave Audé Radio Mix]". Instinct Magazine. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Chart". Billboard. March 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "Jennifer Hudson Chart History". Billboard. March 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Grein, Paul (2011-03-30). "Week Ending March 27, 2011: Songs: Katy Moves Up | Chart Watch - Yahoo! Music". New.music.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Jennifer Hudson: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- "Jennifer Hudson – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Jennifer Hudson.
- "Jennifer Hudson – Chart history" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Jennifer Hudson.
- "Jennifer Hudson – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Jennifer Hudson.
- "Where You At: Jennifer Hudson: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.