|Products||Hunting, fishing, camping gear and apparel|
Number of employees
Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters was a Canadian owned and operated retailer in western Canada of hunting, fishing and camping gear and apparel, that provided advice and merchandise for outdoor sports and activities.
Wholesale Sports offered equipment, clothing and accessories in the camping, hunting, and fishing categories to outdoor enthusiasts across western Canada. Founded by two brothers from Calgary, they acquired local retailers including Frenchy's and Barottos Sports, establishing Wholesale Sports as a retailer and distributor to western Canada's sportsmen and women. Over time, Wholesale Sports acquired and opened additional stores in Edmonton, Lethbridge, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Kamloops.
UFA acquired Wholesale Sports Canada in early 2008. A year later, they acquired the leases of 15 Sportsman’s Warehouse stores with an employee base of 1,200. Sportsman’s Warehouse, a privately held Salt Lake City-based outdoor adventure retailer, had 68 locations throughout the U.S. before UFA acquired 15 sites. The Fargo, North Dakota location was closed in July 2011, leaving 14 stores in the U.S., and 11 in Canada. In 2013 UFA divested its U.S. Wholesale Sports business.
In 2016, Wholesale Sports closed its Regina Location.
As of September 14, 2017 they will be closing all stores.
Last business day of retail sales before closing permanently will be December 28th, 2017.
Main brands currently sold at Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters:
- Bear Archery
- Excalibur Crossbow
- G. Loomis
- Mountain Hardwear
- Primos Hunting
- The North Face
- Trophy Ridge
- Winchester Ammunition
- Under Armour
- "UFA Co-operative Limited's acquisition of Wholesale Sports advances the co-operative towards its mission". UFA.com//. Retrieved 2008-07-16.
- "UFA's CEO Explains Acquisition of Sportsman's Warehouse". Newwest.net/. Retrieved 2008-12-03.
- "Sportsman's Warehouse files for Chapter 11". ktvb.com//. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Wholesale Sports to Open New Location in Prince George, BC". Marketwired.com/. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "Wholesale Sports to Open New Location in Westbank, BC". Marketwired.com/. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Canadian outdoor retailer meets digital expectations with hybris". ChainStoreAge.com/. Retrieved 2015-02-26.
- "Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters Splashes Into Personalized E-Commerce". Retrieved 2015-08-26.