|Slogan||Are you in?|
Type of site
|5,212,740 (April 2014[update])|
Whrrl had a recommendation engine that uses algorithms and users' votes to surface relevant recommendations.
On June 30, 2010, Whrrl launched its Society Rewards Program, designed to close the gap between a brand’s online social media and real-world presence with its first partner, Murphy USA Oil.
Groupon announced that it had purchased Whrrl on April 18, 2011. As Whrrl dissipates, it is being speculated that Groupon will leverage location based social networking or "check-ins" on their popular group coupon site.
The service was launched in October 2007 as a geosocial networking and discovery site that allows both web and mobile users to find, explore, share, meet up at, and rate points-of-interest in their cities. Online Recommendations.
Pelago’s first product, Whrrl, was launched on July 10, 2008. Whrrl v1.0 was a location-based social networking and discovery application for the iPhone, Blackberry and numerous other mobile phones.
Pelago launched Whrrl 2.0, an 'on-the-go' storytelling application for the iPhone and web on March 16 at South by Southwest. Whrrl 3.0 was launched at SXSW on March 11, 2010 with a promise: "We'll save you from Farmville." Press release here .
In November 2006, Pelago, Inc completed Series A financing backed by Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers; Trilogy Equity Partners; and Bezos Expeditions. It is also the first product to be financially backed by the iFund.
In April 2011, Pelago was acquired by Groupon and the Whrrl service discontinued.
- "Whrrl.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Whrrl 3 Wants To Kill Farmville. Not Foursquare. Not Gowalla. Farmville.. TechCrunch URL accessed August 26, 2010.
- Check In With Whrrl, Win Free Gas TechFlash URL accessed August 27, 2010.
- andrew. "Groupon Acquires Pelago « Groublogpon – The Serious Blog of Groupon". Groupon.com. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Whrrl revamps its iPhone app just in time for SXSW... VentureBeat URL accessed May 14, 2009.
- Giving it a Whrrl. USA Today URL accessed December 20, 2007.
- Pelago Secures $15 Million In Funding For Mobile Social Network On A Map Washington Post URL accessed June 4, 2008.
- Jolie O'Dell (August 22, 2010). "Beyond Foursquare: 5 Location-Based Apps for Your Small Business". Mashable. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Om Malik (August 11, 2010). "Whrrl: Living in Foursquare's Shadow". GigaOm. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- John Cook (August 11, 2010). "Foursquare rival Whrrl enters Las Vegas with 'society rewards'". TechFlash. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Jason Falls (August 9, 2010). "Checking In With Whrrl at Whrrl". Social Media Explorer. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Giselle Tsirulnik (June 18, 2010). "Red Bull builds hype for NY Air Race via mobile social media". Mobile Marketer. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Jason Keath (June 6, 2010). "21 Unique Location Examples from Foursquare, Gowalla, Whrrl, and MyTown". Social Fresh. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Jenna Wortham (March 17, 2010). "Telling Friends Where You Are (or Not)". New York Times. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- John Cook (March 10, 2010). "Whrrl tells Farmville fans to get a life and meet some real people". TechFlash. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Geoff Duncan (October 23, 2007). "Whrrl Winds the Social with the Mobile". Digital Trends. Retrieved December 20, 2007.
- Jessica Dolcourt (October 24, 2007). "Rummble, Whrrl". News.com. Retrieved December 20, 2007.
- "Whrrl is Yelp Plus Twitter". Mashable. October 23, 2007. Retrieved December 20, 2006.
- Whrrl Breaks New Ground with Location Based Storytelling
- Whrrl Partners with Eye-Fi for Digital Camera Support