Wickham railway station
Westbound view from Platform 1 in July 2013
|Address||Beresford Street, Wickham
|Distance||165.93 km (103.10 mi) from Central|
|Opened||9 February 1936|
|Closed||25 December 2014|
|Fare zone||MyZone 3|
It closed on 25 December 2014, when the Newcastle line was truncated to Hamilton to allow construction of the Newcastle Light Rail line. A new Wickham Transport Interchange will be built to the west of Wickham station as the line's terminus, where it will connect with the light rail.
Platforms & services
Wickham had two side platforms that could only accommodate four carriages. Passengers on longer trains were required to use the rear four carriages. It was serviced by NSW TrainLink Central Coast & Newcastle line services from Sydney to Newcastle and Hunter line services from Newcastle to Maitland, Muswellbrook, Scone, Telarah and Dungog.
In 2007, Platform 1 was extended at its eastern end to allow Stewart Avenue level crossing to remain open while trains were stopped at the station.
|1||Central Coast & Newcastle Line||Electric Multiple Unit services to Gosford & Sydney|
|Hunter Line||Endeavour/Hunter railcar services to Maitland, Telarah, Dungog, Muswellbrook & Scone|
|2||Central Coast & Newcastle Line||Electric Multiple Unit services to Newcastle|
|Hunter Line||Endeavour/Hunter railcar services to Newcastle|
Wickham Signal Box
Wickham Signal Box was situated at the Newcastle end of the station and controlled a short section between Hamilton and Newcastle, including Railway Street and Stewart Avenue level crossings. Built in 1966, it was attended continuously.
Newcastle Buses operated one route via Wickham railway station:
- Wickham Station NSWrail.net
- Wickham Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- Station Names. Date of opening, closing and/or change of name. Public Transport Commission of New South Wales Administrative Branch (Archives Section) (3rd ed.). February 1979 . p. 15.
- Last train leaves Newcastle station Newcastle Herald 26 December 2014
- Wickham Transport Interchange Transport for NSW July 2014
- Revitalisation of Newcastle CBD continues as Wickham interchange gets the green light Transport for NSW 14 November 2014
- Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Hunter line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Wickham Station details Sydney Trains
- Newcastle Rail Corridor Upgrade Projects NSW Premier's Office