Wikipedia:Overlapping policies and guidelines
|This page is currently inactive and is retained for historical reference.
Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. To revive discussion, seek broader input via a forum such as the village pump.
Wikipedia has a lot of policies and guidelines. Several of these overlap or are partially or wholly redundant with one another; this page serves as a list of those. It may be desirable to merge some of the pages listed here, although the community has rather strongly objected to merging policies in the past. This page lists suggested mergings, which are then discussed on the talk page here or the talk page of the involved pages.
- You are welcome to add to this list. Please do not simply remove items from the list just because you believe they Should Not Be Merged, but instead discuss this on the talk page.
Possible candidates for merging: policies
- Wikipedia:Appealing a block, Wikipedia:Blocking policy and Wikipedia:Banning policy
- Wikipedia:Copyright violations and Wikipedia:Copyrights
- Wikipedia:What Wikipedia is not, Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not a dictionary & Wikipedia:Alternative outlets
- Wikipedia:Libel, Wikipedia:Attack page and Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons
- Wikipedia:No personal attacks, Wikipedia:Civility and Wikipedia:No legal threats
- Wikipedia:Policies and guidelines with Wikipedia:How to create policy
- Wikipedia:Patent nonsense and Wikipedia:Attack page to Wikipedia:Criteria for speedy deletion
- Wikipedia:Proposed deletion to Wikipedia:Deletion policy
- Wikipedia:Deletion process#Non-administrators closing discussions to Wikipedia:Deletion policy
Possible candidates for merging: guidelines
- Wikipedia:Notability and the innumerable sub-guidelines to it (WP:BIO, WP:PORNBIO, WP:PROF, WP:MUSIC, WP:WEB...)
- Wikipedia:Categories, lists, and series boxes (guideline) and Wikipedia:Categories vs lists (essay)