Wikipedia:ROM E-Volunteer Edit-a-thon Meetup
|ROM's First E-Volunteer Edit-a-thon! You are invited! |
|The ROM E-Volunteer Edit-a-thon will be held on Friday August 16th, 2013 at the Royal Ontario Museum. In order to prepare for the ROM’s centennial, our e-volunteer program is striving to add content relevant to the history of the ROM. We have chosen to focus on the Chinese Galleries since two early supporters of the ROM, George Crofts and Bishop William C. White helped build the Museum’s impressive collections of Chinese art and archaeology. The event is limited to 15 people; current e-volunteers will be prioritized. Must be 18 years or older.|
Project Page: Wikipedia:WikiProject Public art/EVolunteerPlan/ROM
- Date: Friday August 16th, 2013
- Time: 8:45 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Location: Royal Ontario Museum’s 6th Floor Far Eastern Library, 100 Queens Park, Toronto, ON M5S 2C6. Attendees will meet ROM E-Volunteer Coordinator, Molly McGowan (MJMcGowan) at the Museum’s Staff Entrance, which is located at the south end of the building at 8:45.
- Event: An edit-a-thon! Learn how to contribute to Wikipedia and collaborate with others to write articles about artifacts/important people relevant the Chinese Galleries.
- Hashtag: #ROMWiki
Come meet your fellow e-volunteers and contribute Wikipedia articles. Lunch and coffee will be provided. A brief Wikipedia tutorial will be given. If there is anything you specifically want covered in the tutorial please indicate this via the talk page.
- 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. -Introduction /Wikipedia: Basics (1Hours)
- 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. -Tour of Chinese Galleries (1 Hour)
- 11 a.m. to Noon -Research Preparation (1 Hour)
- Noon to 1 p.m. -Break for Lunch (1 Hour)
- 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. -Article Writing/ Editing (4 hours)
What to bring
- Your Personal Laptop (There will not be computers available at the ROM)
- Your Topic/Relevant Research
- A USB Stick (Flash Drive/Memory Stick)
- To have attendees write Wikipedia articles which are considered Start-Class or C-Class on the Wikipedia quality scale. For more information check out Wikipedia:WikiProject Wikipedia/Assessment
- To promote collaboration between e-volunteers
- To write articles relevant to the ROM’s centennial
Please sign up below by writing your first and last name. Also state your Wikipedia username in parentheses.
- Molly McGowan (MJMcGowan)
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old. This event is limited to 15 people (current volunteers will be prioritized). Please also indicate if you have any food restrictions.
- Kristy Van Hoven (KristyVan)
- Siân Jones (Sianljones)
- Sarah Gray (Sarahg312)
- Rudayna Bahubeshi (RudaynaB)
- Ivana Djuric (MasterAcademyToronto)
- Daniel Obwegeser (153Daniel)
- Derek Hodges (dhodges)
- Janet Tsang (janettsang)
- Alison Little (alison.d.little)
- Cara Pedersen (cp11sc)
- Avril Poon (avrilverdison)
- Hoda Barjasteh (Hoda.b)
- Patricia Almeida (PFAlmeida)
- James Yoannou (Yoannou300)
A list of artifacts and people relevant to the Chinese Galleries have been posted. The ROM's Main and Far Eastern Libraries have been consulted to make sure there are resources regarding all items on the list. You will need to indicate which one you would like to write an article about during the event by placing your Wikipedia username after the User: which can be done by editing the source code. Please note that there are more than 15 objects listed to provide a variety of topics for e-volunteers to write about, however, only pick one. If possible attempt to research your topic online prior to the event.
If you have trouble signing up for a topic please feel free to leave a message on my talk page: User talk:MJMcGowan or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Topic||E-Volunteer||sample file name|
|1. Bronze Vairocana Buddha||User:Sianljones||Bronze Vairocana Buddha front corner, Royal Ontario Museum, Currelly Gallery.JPG|
|2. Wei Bin's Temple Bell||User:avrilverdison||Wei Bin's Temple Bell, Royal Ontario Museum, Southeast Asia Gallery, display front.JPG|
|3. Green Luohan||User:janettsang||Green Luohan, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, side.JPG|
|4. Companion statues: Kashyapa and Ananda||User:Sarahg312||Kashyapa and Ananda, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, group.JPG|
|5. Bodhisattva (probably Avalokiteshvara)||User:RudaynaB||I know we had a bit of a discussion about this one, I uploaded what I had, but may not match the artifact.
Bodhisattva (probably Avalokiteshvara), Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, group.jpg
|6. Homage to the Highest Power||User:KristyVan||Homage to the Highest Power Mural, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, central figure 1.jpg|
|7. Imperial Palace Hall Reconstruction||User:Dhodges||Imperial Palace Hall Reconstruction, Gallery of Chinese Arcitecture, Royal Ontario Museum, painted beam.jpg|
|8. Jade Ring||User:cp11sc||Jade Ring, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, front.jpg|
|9. Double Bowl||User:||Double Bowl, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, top detail.JPG|
|10. Deer Vase||User:Yoannou300||Deer Vase, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, front.JPG|
|11. Ritual Bronze Wine Vessel||User:||Ritual Bronze Wine Vessel, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, back.JPG|
|12. Horse and Groom||User:||Horse and Groom, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, horse front.JPG|
|13. Three Courtyard House Model||User:PFAlmeida||Three Courtyard House Model, Gallery of Chinese Arcitecture, Royal Ontario Museum, front gate, side view.JPG|
|14. Portrait of Namjar||User:153Daniel||Portrait of Namjar, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, portrait 1.JPG|
|15. Plate BVW||User:||This was off display for testing at the time of our meetup|
|16. Bronze Vessel||User:||Bronze vessel, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, base.JPG|
|17. Goose Lamp||User:||Goose Lamp, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, back.JPG|
|18. Yanluo, King of Hell||User:alison.d.little||Yanluo, King of Hell, Southeast Asia Gallery, Royal Ontario Museum, back detail.JPG|
|19. George Crofts||User:MasterAcademyToronto|
|20. William White (Bishop of Honan)||User:KristyVan|
Photos for pages
I had an awesome time last week meeting you all and getting to do a little wiki work! I will work on getting photos uploaded in Wiki-commons, if you are in need of yours before September, drop me a message and I'll do yours first. Hope you all have a great rest of your summer!KristyVan (talk) 16:43, 21 August 2013 (UTC)
A note about the Photos: I could not link to one collection page, so if you want to use them and run into issues let me know. Otherwise I have provided a sample title for the images that were uploaded. You should be able to search by your object's title as shown in this table. Please note that if your object is really 2 or more each picture will follow the same title format even if it is a picture of one of the group (this is for ease of finding). The part bolded would be the only thing that changes with each image (to make them uniquely identified). But please let me know if you have questions I am happy to help! KristyVan (talk)
To be added after the edit-a-thon