||For the fastest way to request oversight, CLICK HERE
||Suppression (sometimes known as Oversight) is an urgent, enhanced deletion process for removing edits that breach privacy or defame somebody. You may report edits that might require suppression to the Wikipedia suppression team using one of these three methods:
Please read on for more information on when to request suppression, how to contact an oversighter, and what information we need from you.
- Using this form if you have a Wikipedia account with Wikipedia email enabled, send an internal Wikipedia email (click here to enable internal email)
- Using your normal email client, send an email to oversight-en-wpwikipedia.org
- Contact an oversighter personally (using IRC or some other method of contact).
You must never draw attention to suppressible material and links on Wikipedia or any other public venues, except when you send your request for oversight/suppression to the team.
When to request suppression:
We usually suppress an edit or other information on Wikipedia if it contains the following type of information:
Non-public personal information about a real individual. This could be private information about you or others, could have been posted by you or somebody else, and could be on any English Wikipedia page.
This includes (but is not limited to) a telephone number, an address or location, the name of a workplace or school, other online and offline identities, a date of birth, accidentally disclosed IP addresses, and (subject to oversighter judgment) other information of an identifying nature.
- Vandalism appearing to include non-public information, for example somebody's details with a solicitation to call them.
Clearly private, personal, or non-public information at oversighter discretion.
We suppress some highly sensitive and potentially harmful non-public information, even if it does not strictly help "identify" the person. In the past, we have suppressed content such as the self-disclosure of age or date of birth of a minor, or an individual's medical information.
- Clearly (or probably) libelous posts when we have no editorial need to keep the revision.
- Gross vandalism that we would delete if usual deletion tools could deal with it. This includes grossly improper user names. (This is an interim policy and subject to change.)
Other exceptions: We are not likely to make other exceptions, but reserve the right to do so.
An example of one instance where an edit was exceptionally suppressed was an edit made as part of a real-world stalking campaign, where the edit had no project value, and where no lesser remedy was sufficient. Suppression may also be used for copyright violations upon instruction of Wikimedia Foundation counsel.
We will use our best judgement in every request for oversight/suppression. If you request suppression of an edit that does not qualify under the reasons set out above, we will usually decline your request. You can instead request speedy deletion or revision deletion. These processes remove content from public view, and leave it visible only to administrators. This is adequate for many cases.
We need the following information if you wish to request suppression:
You and anybody may request suppression at any time, but we will require the following information. Please ensure you send it so we can act on your request as quickly as possible, and so we do not need to ask you for more information.
- The full URL (web browser address) of the page, edit, log, or log entry containing information you think we need to suppress. If the facts are not obvious, please also supply a brief description of what we need to suppress and why we need to suppress it.
- If you are new to Wikipedia or the internet, you may not be able to do the following two things. If you are not able, then send your request with only the above information. However, if you are capable of doing so, then please also do the following two things:
- In addition to a URL or the page/log name, also send us diff(s) (or from/to times) of the content requiring suppression. This saves us time, but is not necessary.
- RevisionDelete or revert the relevant revision(s) first (but only if it will not draw undue attention). This removes the material from public view and stops it being perpetuated in future edits. Do not use words like "awaiting suppression" when you RevisionDelete or revert the material; use a generic, bland, and nondescript edit summary or action description.
How to report a matter to an oversighter:
Choose whichever of the following four options is fastest and easiest for you. You are free to use more than one:
Using Wikipedia's quick form – recommended if you have an account
If you have a Wikipedia account with email enabled, then use this form to directly post a request. (click here to enable account email)
This is one of the fastest ways to request suppression. Please use a descriptive subject line.
Monitored at most times.
Using your own email to send a message to us – recommended if you don't have a Wikipedia user account
If you don't have a Wikipedia account with email enabled or prefer to use some other method of emailing, then email directly to: oversight-en-wpwikipedia.org to directly post a request. (You may have to type the
@ sign into your e-mail client after you copy and paste our email address; pasting that address may render as
This is also one of the fastest ways to request suppression. Please use a descriptive subject line.
Monitored at most times.
If you use IRC (tutorial), then you can ask for an oversighter, or help finding an oversighter, in any of Wikipedia's official channels on Freenode. Visit any of these IRC channels and type the trigger word !oversight
- Stewards can also suppress, but will not usually do so as English Wikipedia has its own team of oversighters. In a true emergency, there is almost always a steward on #wikimedia-stewards connect on Freenode, and they are extremely helpful and alert.
- If an oversighter is around, using IRC can be a very quick method of requesting suppression. However, you must not post a diff to the suppressible edit(s) in any public channel. Find an oversighter, and then tell them about the edit in a private chat window.
Fast if an oversighter is around and available.
Wikipedia administrators: Due to the sensitive nature of this page and how easily it could be misused, you must not unprotect this page. Thank you.
By direct personal contact
If you know an oversighter and can contact one directly, you may do so. Requests do not have to be submitted through any official route, though you should not post it to their talk page. However, if the oversighter is not available then the above methods (especially sending an email request) will ensure an oversighter acts upon your request. Users with oversighter status are listed here.
Consider using the form or email as well to make sure the request is seen as soon as possible.