Bugs, Repairs, and Internal Operational News
This is a summary of recent technology and site configuration changes that affect the English Wikipedia. Some bug fixes or new features described below have not yet gone live as of press time; the English Wikipedia is currently running version 1.30.0-wmf.14 (36b8ed6), and changes to the software with a version number higher than that will not yet be active. Configuration changes and changes to interface messages, however, become active immediately.
One new bot task has been approved:
- action=edit in the API no longer allows creating invalid titles that look like interwiki titles. (r58649, bug 20967)
- The Global usage extension has been enabled on Wikimedia Commons, to show where files are being used across multiple language Wikipedias and Wikimedia projects.
- The $wgUseInstantCommons setting has been added to allow easy enabling of Commons as a remote image repository for 3rd party wikis. (r58652)
- The ability to protect files without protecting the file (image description) pages has been added. (r58537, bug 6579)
- Wikipedia was down for approximately 15 minutes on November 16, when a software update was being pushed live that caused a memcache failure and database overload.